Almost there!

elesar

Jul 21, 2011
Hey all. First post here but I have been getting great advice from reading this site all summer. I bought a house that has a 16-32 IG pool circa 1973. Original all aluminum, somewhere had a white Fiber tub sprayed in. Yes, I said sprayed. Well, this pool had not been opened for ten years before I bought. Absolute swamp. 3" trees growing from cracks in concrete deck. Removed over 2 tons of leaves from on top of old cover and from pool floor. Frog/toad breeding ground. Had to "relocate" over 200 frogs and toads to nearby river 'cause my 12 yr old has a soft heart for killing 'em.
Never owned a pool before but thanks to this site we got the pool to usable sanitary condition beginning of July. Still working on a few things but we're almost there. But I have one lingering problem that I can't seem to figure out...........
The sides of the pool have a beige/tan substance on them. Pool store tested and said it was copper, but I'm not too sure. This substance is the wierdest stuff. It is not slippery, or grainy. I got in and scubbed it with a hard bristled brush and....NUTHIN. Then one day I noticed my daughter's toe prints in this substance. So I reached down and wiped a finger across it and sure enough, white pool side. I then proceeded to use an old towel to just wipe and it comes right off as a milky/cloudy something. Almost like poring milk into water, only yellowish. Tested water for all algaes, nuthin. Used a towel to remove and then wrung towel into test bottle.
This stuff is really puzzling me. It doesn't come off when I scrub or vacuum but wipes off with your hand or a towel. Has anybody else ever seen something like this?

Welcome to the forum :lol: The stains are likely organic but test results will be needed to get you started clearing the pool. I assume you don't have a good test kit so, until you do, you will have to go to the pool store and ask them to test your water. Post those results back and we'll get started helping clear your pool.

PS - It's not copper if you can rub it off

PPS -
Tested water for all algaes, nuthin.
There is no test for algae.

Thanks duraleigh, that was a fast reply! Not a complete set but the most recent I have are as follows:
CYA 53
TC 1.8
FC 1.8
PH 7.4
TA 115
CH 84
Copper 0.2

Also, substance does not return once removed.

Your test results indicate (as we both suspected) that the stains are not copper but organic.

I would shock the pool by following the process found up in Pool School. Then, additionally, get in the pool and wipe down the sides completely with a towel or something that removes the problem stain. Let your pump and filter clear up the pool but keep your FC at shock level as it will surely drop once the "stain" gets suspended in the pool water. I doubt it will return.

No disrespect to your neighbor, but if you CYA is 53 and your FC is 1.8, I would be very surprised if you didn't have something living in there. You want to keep your FC somewhere between 4-6 to keep algae away. If you have access to a good test kit I would raise the chlorine to shock level and do an overnight test to see if there is any chlorine loss overnight. That will tell you if something is in there and if you need to shock the pool.

duraleigh, I shocked pool before and did not seem to solve this issue. Although, I had not wiped the stuff away at that point. I will do thorough "wiping" and shock again. BadOleRoss, please advise.... I have been told to keep TC between 1-3 and FC no more than 0.5 below TC level. Since early July my FC and TC readings have always been nearly equal. Depending on my dedication anywhere from 1-4 for both. Have I been listening to the wrong people?

Have I been listening to the wrong people?
Perhaps. You will find things on this forum not taught at other places. The difference is that the chemistry taught here is fact-based, it works, and there are thousands of people on the forum who will attest to that.

As you read more, you will find those FC suggestions do not take into account the buffering effect of CYA.....that adds a completely different set of numbers to the FC values you need to use and is likely why your "shock" was ineffective.

With a CYA of 53, having a FC level of 1.8 is very low. With the FC this low, it opens the door for algae and other organics to take hold. A good FC level would be between 4-6. Take some time and read through the Pool School and order one of the recommended test kits. If you do that, and follow that advise given from the people here, your pool will be looking the best it ever has and you will fully understand what is going on in your pool. Oh, and welcome to TPFs!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.