Night or Day? When do you run the pool pump?

b3dw23

Aug 10, 2011
What time of day do you all run your pump?

I have read the pool school section about how long I should run the pump but I was wondering if anyone had a preference about the time of day?

Logic would tell me that during the sunniest part of the day would be the optimal time of day to run the pump as the Sun kills chlorine and promotes algae growth.

On the other hand, my power company offers a discounted power plan sort of like cell phone companies. Power will be cheaper if I use most power at night and on the weekends, but from 1pm to 8pm on weekdays it will cost more, if I choose this plan.

Currently I'm using the standard plan as I have been under the impression that running the pump during the hottest part of the day was important for reasons I explained earlier.

Thanks guys

I run at night when it is hot. Start about midnight and run to 10, plus the waterfall runs two times during the day (pulls from the deep end), and the Polaris runs a few times which adds an hour or two midday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.