Suntouch vs Easytouch for simple installation

Puma

Aug 12, 2011
First, thanks for any help that anyone can provide, I've asked this question on another forum and the answer sounds like "you need EasyTouch", but I thought I'd run it past some more eyes and hopefully find out I can save 500 bucks.

Here's what I need a pool system to be able to do (with schedules):

In general - Control my Pentair VS pump and 2 valves (one suction (intake) and one return (outlet)), allowing me to automate the movement of the valves (scheduled) and, on demand change some valve positions as well (turn on the waterfall).

In detail ---
Scheduled:
7:30PM-7AM - Intake valve on "skimmer", Outlet valve on "jets", Pump Speed 1000RPM
7AM-9AM - Intake valve on "skimmer", Outlet valve on "waterfall", Pump Speed 2200RPM
9AM-6PM - Intake valve on "skimmer", Outlet valve on "jets", Pump Speed 1000RPM
6PM-7:30PM - Intake valve on "cleaner", Outlet valve on "waterfall", Pump Speed 2000RPM

On Demand (from remote control) -
Intake valve on "skimmer", Outlet valve on "jets", Pump Speed 2200RPM
Intake valve on "skimmer", Outlet valve on "waterfall", Pump Speed 2200RPM
Intake valve on "skimmer", Outlet valve on "jets", Pump Speed 1000RPM (reset to low power state)
(optional) - Intake valve on "cleaner", Outlet valve on "waterfall", Pump Speed 2000RPM (run cleaner on demand)

Thank you very much for any help you can provide. If I'm "close" to an SunTouch but just need to give up 1-2 functions, please let me know. I don't really need any relays (everything will be hard wired, the controller will just be moving valves and sending commands to the pump).

Thanks PoolGuy!

What if I give up independent control and do something like this?

Scheduled:
7:30PM-1AM - Intake valve on "skimmer", Outlet valve on "jets", Pump Speed 1000RPM (pool mode)
7AM-9AM - Intake valve on "cleaner", Outlet valve on "waterfall", Pump Speed 2000RPM (spa mode)
9AM-10AM - Intake valve on "skimmer", Outlet valve on "jets", Pump Speed 2200RPM (pool mode, skim the pool)
10AM-6PM - Intake valve on "skimmer", Outlet valve on "jets", Pump Speed 1000RPM (pool mode, just run the filter)
6PM-7:30PM - Intake valve on "cleaner", Outlet valve on "waterfall", Pump Speed 2000RPM (spa mode, run the waterfall)

On Demand (from remote control) -
Intake valve on "skimmer", Outlet valve on "jets", Pump Speed 2200RPM (skim the pool - spa button)
Intake valve on "cleaner", Outlet valve on "waterfall", Pump Speed 2000RPM (run the waterfall "A" button)
Intake valve on "skimmer", Outlet valve on "jets", Pump Speed 1000RPM (reset to low power state "B" button)

The 3 speeds that I'm going to use are already programmed into my VS pump (button 1, 2, and 3).

Also, is there anyway to setup the actuators so that they don't "totally" close off a valve when they move (for example, instead of doing a full 180 degree, only do 170 degrees)?

Thank you!

Thanks again PoolGuy.

When you say the controller will override the pump, you just mean that any schedules that I have set on the pump won't actually do anything, right? I can still schedule the pump to run at a certain time (with the valves in a certain position), at a certain RPM, right? And I'd still be able to have 3 different pump speeds (for the different features)?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.