Which Pool Mesh Safety Cover to buy?

tpjimmie

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2011
Hi guys, I am having trouble deciding which pool safety cover to buy? I have done all the A+B measurements and have gotten a few quotes from GLI, anchor and HPI, I am waiting on meyco and loop-loc. Can anyone give me advise? Thanks in advance.

To tell you the truth, they're all ~ the same in quality ant usefulness.

If it's not too late, and you can afford it, I'd get one of the tighter mesh "sunblock' weaves. These puppies are about as debris and algae- free as a solid cover!

If you have questions about installing one or using it, please feel free to ask. :-D

My experiences with Anchor have been with their solid covers. The mesh is relatively new for them. They are far better know for their solid covers.

I won't go into the dislikes that pertain to the solids (and there are many).

I don't like that their support sux, they nickel and dime you for things that should be included, like a tamper for the anchors and springs and spring covers, their anchors use a smaller hex key than everyone else, and getting a replacement cover is a ponderous task because the data entry people don't read notes about important features that need to be considered.

Just my opinion but I am sticking to it..

Scott

hayfarmer said:
I have a loop loc love it, going on five years and still is in great shape... there not cheap in cost, but i think there worth it..
good luck in your choice..

I am a new pool owner, so I have yet to go through the winterization. I am a little confused on if I need a solid type cover or a mesh will do. I have read the closing part of this site, but it doesnt address if you have to retest the water mid winter to make sure the levels are good or you need to add more chemicals? If you keep your pool with a certain shock chlorine level all winter long, do you have to worry about algae? Do I really need to spend the extra on the tight mesh type or will a standard mesh work? What is your experience. thanks so much

I have the Loop Loc II which is the tighter weave mesh. I love the cover. The only draw back is if we get a lot of snow/rain etc, I have to go out and monitor the water level during the winter. I also monitor the chemical levels throughout the winter to make sure I don't open to a green pool. Last year i did. This year the water was cloudy, but after 1 day of running the pump w/ chemicals, the pool was crystal clear.

I think when the time comes to replace it (hopefully no time soon) I might look into the Ultra-Loc or something comparable.

I usually recommend a solid cover for gunite pools or for those that like to close right after Labor Day and open just before Memorial Day. The lack of sun light hitting the pool in the off season prevents algae growth. Unless you close a pool with the water temps under 60, any light will permit growth.

With plastered pools, the algae takes a bit more work in the Spring to clean out when using a mesh cover. More work is as compared to a liner or F/G pool, both of which have smoother, less porous surfaces. The water is normally clear but there is growth if you close too soon and open too late.

This isn't alway the case. Some pools, such as those with longer raised beams or rock formations may be better suited for a mesh cover since they are physically lighter and while the wall anchors for the better covers are plenty strong, a heavy, wet snow load is better supported by the stronger mesh covers. Those with larger dogs that use the cover as an extension to the yard area are better off with a mesh also. Toe nails can pierce a solid cover. With mesh, the nails can go between the threads.

Yes, most mesh covers are stronger than solid covers. Not all solids, anymore than meshes, are of equal strength. Cover construction is important. Better covers use heavier thread, stitching, , webbing, cabling, and anchors. Cheap covers are just that. They are cheaper for reasons that don't benefit the end user.

There are some cover manufacturers that claim their mesh prevents the light. Trust me, enough light get in. Not always, but enough.

Pools with waterline tile need an automatic step pump to keep water off the tile line. Ice expansion can pop and crack tiles. Even solid covers should so when a snow load displaces water in the pool, it can be drawn off. I like the Little Giant ACP-500 for this, especially if there is a deep end swim out with a step. The swim out step is typically an inch or two lower than the tile time, the perfect height.

Scott

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I am really looking hard at the HPI aquamaster solid with a center drain. Do you have an opinion with this cover? Surprisingly enough for Idaho, Boise just doesnt get that much snow or rain Dec through Feb. It just gets cold.

Very little trees, most conifers. No raised surfaces. Concrete deck. And a little precious 2 yr old girl who can dang near swim, but still need the piece of mind a safety cover gives.

Loop at Loop Loc's Ultra Loc line. Rolls up tighter and weight 1/3 less than most other solid covers. It doesn't stretch or get pockets to collect water but does need the strap/spring tension adjusted periodically to drain properly.

The smaller storage size and weight mean a lot.

12 year warranty, and the 1st two years are at 100%.

Scott

All,
Thanks so much for all your replies and help with this. I ended up going with HPI. I like the fact that the company had been around a while, they sew in the serial number on each cover so when time to replace, they can make up the cover exactly as it was sent to me. This means the anchors will line up. They have a rub strip for the coping, double layer strapping and 12 year warranty. About 1300 cheaper than my Loop Loc quote. I had heard that meyco and loop loc where good covers, but a lot of the expense was based upon name brand.

http://www.poolcenter.com/hpi-yardguard-solid-and-mesh-pool-safety-covers.htm

http://www.parpool-spa.com/page/winterizing/HPI_yard_guard_safety_cover.htm

I also felt it was important to choose who I purchased the cover through. I purchased through Specialty Pool Products because of great reviews. I almost when through Pool deals.com but they have awful reviews.

Hopefully I made a good choice, if I didnt, I will update this site.

Thanks again.

Does the doubled strapping go all the way across to it's opposite strap? Many manufacturers stop at the perimeter.

How the stitching to attach the webbing to the fabric used is done is also relevant. Some single stitch and use thinner thread. This reduces the costs in both labor and material but costs in strength and longevity.

Its not just brand name awareness that makes a Loop Loc cost a little more.

Scott

Those are good points thank you so much. Hopefully I made a good choice, if not, you all will hear about it and hopefully it steers someone from this forum away from them. This is why I love this web site. Filled with personal experiences. The below is from the web page.

Strength and Durability
All strap cross-sections and perimeter points feature cross-stitched reinforcement. Specially treated, U.V. resistant polyester thread is used throughout the cover.

Quality Control
Triple white bonded polyester stitching is used on all our webbing seams for visual inspection purposes, ensuring that no stitches are dropped. Consistent quality is ensured throughout the manufacturing process with systematic checks and the issuance of a signed inspection card for every cover. White thread (triple stitching) cross tack & box tack at all perimeter stress points.

Protective Rub Strip
Industry leading 22" soft component rub strips protect the cover and your pool coping from excessive wear.

Double Layered Strapping
A durable grid of strapping on both sides makes our pool covers the strongest per square foot in the industry. Reinforced webbing top and bottom on every seam and around the perimeter. Straps run on both top and bottom of the cover for added strength.

Identification Code
An industry first! Each cover has a registered serial number sewn into the cover perimeter. If the cover ever needs replacement, a duplicate cover matching all straps to your existing anchors is easily manufactured.

Since the late 1800's protective covers have been made under the family name of Hinsperger.
Yard Guardâ„¢ by HPI offers a complete range of attractive winter pool covers and pool safety covers. Utilizing the latest high-strength materials and manufactured to ensure long-term reliability, HPI covers are designed to beautifully protect for years to come.

All,
Thanks so much for all your replies and help with this. I ended up going with HPI. I like the fact that the company had been around a while, they sew in the serial number on each cover so when time to replace, they can make up the cover exactly as it was sent to me. This means the anchors will line up. They have a rub strip for the coping, double layer strapping and 12 year warranty. About 1300 cheaper than my Loop Loc quote. I had heard that meyco and loop loc where good covers, but a lot of the expense was based upon name brand.

http://www.poolcenter.com/hpi-yardguard-solid-and-mesh-pool-safety-covers.htm

http://www.parpool-spa.com/page/winterizing/HPI_yard_guard_safety_cover.htm

I also felt it was important to choose who I purchased the cover through. I purchased through Specialty Pool Products because of great reviews. I almost when through Pool deals.com but they have awful reviews.

Hopefully I made a good choice, if I didnt, I will update this site.

Thanks again.

How are you liking this cover? I Actually moved into a home that had an HPI cover, I ended up calling HPI after getting the serial number this year to get a replacement (stitching falling apart). They gave me a 15% discount as there was 1 more year on warranty (10 years) and it will cost about 1/3 of the price of what I was quoted from loop lock and couple other local companies. The first one lasted many years and it looks like they stand behind their product, and offer a great price. It has been a few years so you may not even read this.

Breathing new life into this thread - the LPB we used for our 20x44 plus L @ 12x10 (if I remember correctly) offers the GLI line, and pricing was 2,375 for basic mesh, 2,650 for pro mesh, and 2,775 (all plus tax) for secure/solid or hyperlite.
Got a quote from the other LBP in the area, and he quoted $2100 out the door, and he uses Latham which seems to be aka Coverstar. He called it their "HD" line but didn't call it by name, so I have a call back into him for that info.

Trying to understand if I should look for another installer that carries something else or these are OK. Is the GLI stuff worth the extra cost over Coverstar assuming similar "grade"?
I was budgeting somewhere $2-2.5k, so seems I'm in the ballpark, but money got a little tighter from work and as usual we underestimated how much we are into everything for, so willing to save if it makes sense.

Going into stamped concrete if that matters, and located in CT so will be covered from roughly Oct 1 thru May 1. Last year we had the regular vinyl winter cover on it (no deck then) and when opened it was clear as day, though it was full of ice for most of the winter :) I also had to pump water out at least once or twice.

Thanks!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.