Adding floater to pool

fordfampool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2011
Wisconsin
Hello!

We are headed out of town for 9 days. Last night we decided it would be best to bring the pool up to shock level, so we did. The plan was to put the solar cover on and leave. Now this morning I am having second thoughts if that will keep our pool at a high enough level while we are gone.

What I am asking is, can I put our old floater in there with some trichlor tabs? I know you aren't supposed to mix types of chlorine...so I am not sure if that is okay or not. Mike says it would be just fine but I worry, so I wanted to ask.

Thanks!
Sarah

Well, that's kinda' in the "undecided" zone. :mrgreen: 9 days of tabs will probably drive your CYA up higher than you really want it.

Since you have it at shock value now (about 24ppm FC??), could you have someone come by on about day 4 and put the floater in the pool for you? Then you would only have 5 days of CYA exposure.

Why did you nix the idea of covering it? I think that would still be my first choice.

Another thought....if water is relatively inexpensive, you could use the tabs and then be prepared to do a partial drain if your CYA gets much above 60.

We still plan to cover it...I just wasn't sure if it would last. We get lots of tree debris (little stuff) if the pool even with the solar cover on. I am just worried that it won't hold it above an fc level of 4 for 9 days.

When I use the Pool Calc. and plugged in my info it indicated to shock at 16.

FC Right now: 16.5
Ph 7.5
TA 110
CH 220
CYA 50

BTW, we only have about another 3 maybe 4 weeks left before we close it up for the winter. Maybe if the CYA gets higher, that won't be such a big deal??

Thanks!!

I question the use of a floater under a cover. I have used neither but it seems to me you will not get very even distribution of the chlorine from the floater and stand a fairly good chance of bleaching out (and making brittle) the cover in a spot where the floater touches the cover.

Earlier this summer, before we really new better, we were just using the floaters and they were under the cover most of the time and they seemed to do okay. They are very low profile, so they actually will move around a little bit with the cover on.
If we do have an issue with it affecting the cover, at this point, I am okay with it...the cover is quite old and in need of replacing in sometime soon anyhow.

I will try to remember to report back when we get home with the results.

BTW, a pool "babysitting" service would be dang handy! No one in our area (northern WI) seems to do that. Are there companies that offer such a service in other areas?

Thanks everyone for your advice!! Have a nice weekend,
Sarah

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.