Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding floater to pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding floater to pool

Hello!

We are headed out of town for 9 days. Last night we decided it would be best to bring the pool up to shock level, so we did. The plan was to put the solar cover on and leave. Now this morning I am having second thoughts if that will keep our pool at a high enough level while we are gone.

What I am asking is, can I put our old floater in there with some trichlor tabs? I know you aren't supposed to mix types of chlorine...so I am not sure if that is okay or not. Mike says it would be just fine but I worry, so I wanted to ask.

Thanks!
    Sarah
    loc: WI ~24k gal vinyl w/fiberglass steps, 18ft x 38ft, 3.5ft shallow(90deg floor to walls)-8ft deep end(floor to 45deg wall to vert wall), 300lb sand filter, chlorine (liquid shock and trichlor). Skim in middle, single main, two returns facing away from skimmer and towards the surface a bit. Sarah and Mike. We are new pool owners - it came with the house!

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Adding floater to pool

It might be the very best thing....depending on your current CYA level...what is it?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Our CYA is 50.
    loc: WI ~24k gal vinyl w/fiberglass steps, 18ft x 38ft, 3.5ft shallow(90deg floor to walls)-8ft deep end(floor to 45deg wall to vert wall), 300lb sand filter, chlorine (liquid shock and trichlor). Skim in middle, single main, two returns facing away from skimmer and towards the surface a bit. Sarah and Mike. We are new pool owners - it came with the house!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Well, that's kinda' in the "undecided" zone. 9 days of tabs will probably drive your CYA up higher than you really want it.

Since you have it at shock value now (about 24ppm FC??), could you have someone come by on about day 4 and put the floater in the pool for you? Then you would only have 5 days of CYA exposure.

Why did you nix the idea of covering it? I think that would still be my first choice.

Another thought....if water is relatively inexpensive, you could use the tabs and then be prepared to do a partial drain if your CYA gets much above 60.
    Dave S.

5. Back To Top    #5

We still plan to cover it...I just wasn't sure if it would last. We get lots of tree debris (little stuff) if the pool even with the solar cover on. I am just worried that it won't hold it above an fc level of 4 for 9 days.

When I use the Pool Calc. and plugged in my info it indicated to shock at 16.

FC Right now: 16.5
    Ph 7.5
    TA 110
    CH 220
    CYA 50

BTW, we only have about another 3 maybe 4 weeks left before we close it up for the winter. Maybe if the CYA gets higher, that won't be such a big deal??

Thanks!!

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess my question still is...can I add a floater with trichlor tabs to a pool that uses liquid chlorine and is at shock level. Is it okay to mix those types of chlorine when they are dispersed in a big pool?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by fordfampool
    I guess my question still is...can I add a floater with trichlor tabs to a pool that uses liquid chlorine and is at shock level. Is it okay to mix those types of chlorine when they are dispersed in a big pool?
    Yes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay, thanks!! I will go that route then.

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I question the use of a floater under a cover. I have used neither but it seems to me you will not get very even distribution of the chlorine from the floater and stand a fairly good chance of bleaching out (and making brittle) the cover in a spot where the floater touches the cover.
    Dave S.

10. Back To Top    #10

Earlier this summer, before we really new better, we were just using the floaters and they were under the cover most of the time and they seemed to do okay. They are very low profile, so they actually will move around a little bit with the cover on.
    If we do have an issue with it affecting the cover, at this point, I am okay with it...the cover is quite old and in need of replacing in sometime soon anyhow.

I will try to remember to report back when we get home with the results.

BTW, a pool "babysitting" service would be dang handy! No one in our area (northern WI) seems to do that. Are there companies that offer such a service in other areas?

Thanks everyone for your advice!! Have a nice weekend,
    Sarah