Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
hello
the outside of my house is getting painted, and so they painted one wall this past Tuesday. A rainstorm shortly followed, and apparently washed a lot of paint into the pool. Naturally, the pool looks hazy, and I cant even see the main drain. I had hoped that on the following morning, the particles would have settled to the bottom, but apparently not.

What do I do? Shock it? Add chlorine like crazy? Drain it (ouch...)?

I was told that pool stores sell some type of chemical that will force the cloudiness to the bottom and then I can just vacuum it out. Is that true?

help please!!!! My pool was crystal clear before the Dang rainstorm.
Thanks

As always, the advice here on the forum really requires a set of test results. Anything less than that is just guessing.

(The test results will, of course, not detect your paint issue but there is no sense trying to resolve the paint if something else is causing the cloudiness....test results may reveal that)

agreed.
but i dont have a good test kit yet that will give me numbers, and I know for 100% sure that the cream colored haziness is caused by the cream colored paint that is no longer on the wall. The wall looks like The joker's face...horrible. But that's easy to fix - repaint. It's the pool that has me sleepless.
The wall is about 3 feet away from the pool's edge, and it rained pretty hard on Tuesday.

Hi, we can help with this issue, but the test results are important. Just take a sample to the local pool store and ask for a test. Don't tell them about the paint and don't buy anything! Post the results here and we will be able to help you determine how much chlorine you need, and if there are any other problems that may complicate the issue.

What kind of paint?

Shocking should take care of it, but might take a while.

You could use an enzyme product that is specially made to clear pools that have been fouled by large quantities of paint, oil, etc.

i can ask the store for the results? they dont print anything out and usually jut turn around and tell me fine or add this or that.

I think pinch a penny prints something out, so I will go there.

Ouch, paint in the pool. Nightmare. The only thing scarier than that is pool store testing results. I would think some enzyme product would help gather the paint but chlorine will be needed.

How much? Who knows without accurate CYA results. The amount of CYA in your pool will determine how much chlorine you need. When I tested my pool store testing they told me my CYA was 30 ppm when I know it was 60 ppm. If you get similar testing results you would not be able to properly shock your pool and clear it quickly.

Please do yourself and your pool a favor buy a good test kit now. Maintaining a $30,000 pool without a test kit is like driving a car without any gauges or instrumentation, never checking the oil or fluids and taking the word of what jiffy lube tells you what needs to be done to your $30,000 car.

Get in tune with and take control of your pool now. All the info you need is on this site and with a proper test kit we would be happy to help.

BBBliever said:
Please do yourself and your pool a favor buy a good test kit now. Maintaining a $30,000 pool without a test kit is like driving a car without any gauges or instrumentation, never checking the oil or fluids and taking the word of what jiffy lube tells you what needs to be done to your $30,000 car.
That is a great way or putting it! And for those of us who bought a used car at a good low price, we still don't want to be stuck on the road somewhere without warning, so it makes sense for us too!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
[quote:39tnpl0o]
That is a great way or putting it! And for those of us who bought a used car at a good low price, we still don't want to be stuck on the road somewhere without warning, so it makes sense for us too![/quote:39tnpl0o]

I agree!

What model filter do you have?

I'd start out by running the pump 24 hours a day. You could also add a very little DE to the filter and that'll help clean the water. However it may ruin your cartridge, but the paint may do that anyway.

I would not add DE to the cartridge filter. If you run the pump 24/7 and do not see any clearing, then the paint may be forming a suspension in the water (like milk) in which case you'd need to use a clarifier such as GLB® Clear Blue® or Natural Chemistry® Clear™ (or Natural Chemistry® Clear and Perfect™ but you have to be careful to not overdose). Since you have a cartridge filter, then I doubt you have a way to vacuum-to-waste in which case I would not use a flocculant (hence, my recommendation of using a clarifier instead). This is one of those rare times where a clarifier can be useful.

The recommendation of enzymes such as Natural Chemistry® Pool First Aid™ is also good and could clear the pool without need for the clarifier so you could try that first.

thank you all for your quick help. I took my water to Pinch-a-Penny, and the chemicals looked fine.
TC 3
FC 3
TA 120
Calcium hardness 260
Stabilizer 80

They recommended that I pour half a bottle of Pool First Aid, and that I run the pump a lot. Since the cartridge will get saturated, they suggested I clean it with a degreaser various times as I run the pump.
I poured the first aid, and I see some clarity, but I have not had a chance to clean the filter due to thunderstorms.
Now. If my paint is not oil based, will the First aid--an oil cleaner, really work?

Again, thanks to all.

nabril15 said:
thank you all for your quick help. I took my water to Pinch-a-Penny, and the chemicals looked fine.
TC 3
FC 3
TA 120
Calcium hardness 260
Stabilizer 80

They recommended that I pour half a bottle of Pool First Aid, and that I run the pump a lot. Since the cartridge will get saturated, they suggested I clean it with a degreaser various times as I run the pump.
I poured the first aid, and I see some clarity, but I have not had a chance to clean the filter due to thunderstorms.
Now. If my paint is not oil based, will the First aid--an oil cleaner, really work?

Again, thanks to all.

The chlorine/CYA chart gives these numbers for your 80 ppm stabilizer:
FC min = 6ppm, target = 9ppm, shock = 31ppm

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.