New Pool owner - just got the test kit! Couple questions...

tjao

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 8, 2011
I am so thankful for this forum and your expertise!! Thank you.

We just moved in a month ago and pool was here. 16x32 = 32,000 gallons i believe (8ft deep end/3ft shallow end) hayward 90 sq ft cartridge filter and 1 1/2 hp pump. Also a chlorine feeder that i have some 3" tabs in but will remove if i should. (its turned down low)

Went through the first month with the pool store back and forth over $500 in expenses (even more with the pool school included), different answers from each place. Water was good, but then went cloudy after all the HTH and i haven't completely got it back. I was told my biggest problem is that this cartridge filter is too small for this size pool. I seem to believe that because i had to clean these cartridges so quickly as the pressure rises and the jets slow down badly. Just put a brand new cartridge in and the pool is doing much better. Still not fully clear in the deep end.
I want to begin with Bleach and the other products i may need. Here are the results from my first test -
FC = 3
CC = 1
TC = 4
TA = 110-120
PH = 7.2 (looked to match up color really close... but remember its my first time using a real test)
CYA = 35-40 (maybe i'm ok leaving the chlorinater on for a bit to raise the CYA)

Calc says 332 oz. to raise the PPM to 8. I'm thinking i should raise to 6-8 and keep it around there. But should i do anything else?
I think with just staying on top of the cartridges and this, the pool will clear up. That being said... were they right about the filter needing to be changed to sand or DE? I'm ready to do that for next spring if it will save me this hassle of cleaning cartridges 2x week.

Please advise away! Remember i'm completely new to pools so anything i said thats off please let me know.

Re: New Pool owner - just got the test kit! Couple questions

Welcome to the forum :lol: You're not too far off but you probably need to shock the pool. Bring that FC up to around 15ppm and leave it there by constantly testing and adding until your water clears and your cc's test yields a result of .5ppm or less.

Please read "How to shock your pool" in Pool School and follow that procedure exactly.....I think your pool will sparkle in just a few days. :lol:

Get your pool cleared up and you will not have to clean the filter so often. Then you can make an educated decision on your filter

i found that using skimmer socks really cut down on the frequency of cart cleaning. Found first ones in a pool store, then got some online later. It won't make up for an undersized filter but it could help somewhat.

Thanks!

So I have two follow ups... first based on the calculator I'd have to dump roughly 600 oz of bleach in to raise my FC from 3 to 14. Should i do that all at once or add half now (I have 180 oz jugs) and test after some time and add more?

Secondly, the pool calc also says 16x32 avg depth of 5.5 is 21k gallons. I was told the pool is 32k gallons. Could it be?

tjao said:
Thanks!

So I have two follow ups... first based on the calculator I'd have to dump roughly 600 oz of bleach in to raise my FC from 3 to 14.
I am getting 740 ounces of 6% for a 32000 gallon pool to go from 3 to 14 ppm fc. If you pool really is 21000 gallons, I calculate 479 ounces. Where did you get 600 from?

tjao said:
Should i do that all at once or add half now (I have 180 oz jugs) and test after some time and add more?
I usually add mine at once, but if you are unsure of your amounts or pool size, you can do it in installments. You usually have to wait an hour (with pump running) to test after adding chlorine. Just add it all in front of the return slowly.

tjao said:
Secondly, the pool calc also says 16x32 avg depth of 5.5 is 21k gallons. I was told the pool is 32k gallons. Could it be?
I also get ~21000 gallons independent of the PC tool. A rectangular pool with those dimensions would have to be average 8.2 ft deep to have 32000 gallons. Are you sure of the dimensions?

I should have specified ... because of the size question i was splitting the difference on the amount of chlorine.

hmmm... I got the numbers from two pool stores who immediately said 32k based on 16x32. But from all the other terrible info i got i can through that out the window. I'll do a measurement just to say "yes" i know the dimensions are right. But it must be 21k from what you're saying... def not 8ft throughout! :)

So I dumped 360+ oz of chlorine in last night and planned to test in the morning before adding the rest.
Results -
FC = 12.5
CC = .5
TC = 13

PH = 7.5 (color matches pretty well to me)

Water is looking good. What do you think? Test later today and based on FC loss today and overnight, i don't need to continue shocking. I'll start with the normal daily routine now.
Am i on the right track, based on the results?

The overnight FC test will become your best friend. Read how to conduct the OCLT by reading this article in the Pool School. pool-school/overnight_fc_test

The OCLT will help you decide if you have algae that must be killed using Cl or if you have dead algae or pollen that must be removed by the filter.

When you need to kill an algae bloom you want to add sufficient amount of bleach to bring the pool water to shock level. You will continue to add bleach to maintain shock level until your pool passes the OCLT. Many pool owners make the mistake of rising the FC to 8 to 10 and wonder why they never kill off the algae. Pool stores will tell you to maintain a high FC level to sell more product. I keep my pool at 4 ppm FC with a SWG and never have algae. Read the Pool School section on CYA and FC levels.

You got on the right track by finding this web site. In a week you will be proud of your clear pool and your ability to maintain the pool without spending a fortune.

tjao said:
Water is looking good. What do you think? Test later today and based on FC loss today and overnight, i don't need to continue shocking. I'll start with the normal daily routine now.
Am i on the right track, based on the results?
I would continue to bring/hold FC level above 16 ppm (your shock level minimum for 40 ppm CYA per the PC) today. Then do another OCLT tonight.

Just as a review, you are done shocking when:
1. CC is 0.5 or lower;
2. An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
3. And the water is clear.

One other note, when you are above 10 ppm FC, pH testing is not accurate and usually reads high.

Do your OCLT at shock level tonight. Going to normal levels too quick can be detrimental.

Stick with the 35-40ppm CYA (remove tablets, only bleach from now on) for this season. At 35-40 CYA,once you're finished shocking you'll dose the pool nightly to raise chlorine back to 7ppm in preparation for the next day. That way if you find yourself in a very hot sunny summer next year you can raise it a bit as needed but if you continue to raise it this season, lowering it next year will be more involved. Plus, you can take vacations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I should have left an update here much sooner... (quite a busy summer with the move, baby on the way and of course enjoying a Crystal clear pool thanks to TFP! This is without mentioning the hurricane here in NJ)

After all the advice and posts here the pool was perfect, so easy to take care of our second month. I am needless to say BBB for life! And I'm trying to preach it to anyone that asks.

Thanks again for all the help!

(ps - I did also learn my lesson about not keeping up already... A week of straight rain and too cold to swim followed by 3 hot days had me shocking again. This would be dreadful if it meant trips to the pool store. But instead it's like 1-2-3)

On my way over to the supporter forum now!!!

Nice work, tjao! :lol: Almost time to close up the pool up there. You will have a very easy time opening as well now that you have taken control of your pool.

Congrats Tjao from a fellow NJ pool owner, I am just learning the BBB method from the guys here who are very helpful. I am glad frog talked me into buying a good test kit, running to the store all the time was not fun, with the TF-100 I am doing all my tests now even though its almost closing time :) I got people comming to winterize my lines this saturday but next season I plan to open and close on my own this being my first season. When I started in June I was so scared of all the pipes and valves I didnt think I could do it but now it all seems so simple :p
Your sizing conversation made me think of my pool, the paperwork states its a 34,000 gallong pool, its a 20x40 pool but its free form so i did measure I think up to 24 feet in certain spots. The paperwork states it's 7" on the deep end but its a bit over waist deep in shallow end. Is it possible to be 34,000 gallons guys? I am assuming the exact measurements could be a bit off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.