urgent CH testing question

tltmom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Urbana, IL
see previous post "does adding CYA cause cloudiness" from earlier today

the response I got "could it be calcium?" got me thinking - the landscapers were working in my yard today about 15-20 feet from my pool, sawing on concrete retaining wall blocks and dumping gravel. There was a lot of dust in the air. so I retested using TF-100:

Tc 6.0
Fc 5.5
cc .5 or less (1 drop)
TA 130
CYA did not test, just added today
CH 340/350 (tested twice) CH is higher than what I got a few days ago, but I'm not extremely confident in my results. I have the "fading endpoint" problem on my CH test, and I accidentally broke my magnetic stirrer. I did the 2 techniques described for "fading endpoint" to get my numbers, but even doing that I did not see a sudden change from pink to blue but rather pink--purple--blue taking about 5 or 6 drops.

I will get a new magnetic stirrer, but in the meantime, what should I do?
I will stop the landscapers for now, and look back at pool school about calcium.
I'm very concerned about scaling since I was already thinking I might have a litlle from earlier this summer when the pool was not as well controlled as I have had it in the last week.
any suggestions would be helpful.

well I checked the pH just now and looked at the pool calculator.
pH=7.4 checked it several times.
pool calculator says csi = -.09 so NOT scaling, I think.
so does this mean I can calm down, and just wait for the dust to filter out?
will it filter out since its so tiny?
I really hate to add anything else to the water!

tltmom said:
well I checked the pH just now and looked at the pool calculator.
pH=7.4 checked it several times.
pool calculator says csi = -.09 so NOT scaling, I think.
so does this mean I can calm down, and just wait for the dust to filter out?
will it filter out since its so tiny?
I really hate to add anything else to the water!
Depends on your filter. I know DE will take it out, I have no experience with the others.

Brush good to get it in suspension so the filter can grab it. Or, let it settle out overnight and try vacuuming it up. The secret is to sneak up on the dirt slowly, so the vacuum sucks it in before the movement of the vacuum stirs it up.

I have a sand filter, so I think those may not be as effective at small particles, is this true?
Also, would you say that if I tested my water correctly, I do not have a scaling situation going on here?
I was pretty concerned about that since I think I may have gotten a bit of scaling from my "pre-TFP" days
Thanks

cloudiness has not changed, or possibly gotten better. its so slight that its hard to tell. there does not seem to be anything I can brush or vaccuum, since when I brush the bottom of the deep end there are no clouds/etc. the water sparkles still, just a hint of dullness to it. my family thinks i'm going a little over board but I am positive there has been a slight change.
should I just let the filter keep working on it? it runs 24-7.

another thought: I did have to shock the pool last week, followed TFP directions. passed OCLT, <.5 CC, water was clear afterwards. I have kept the FC at at least 4.5, 0 to .5 CC on a TF-100 since then. however, last night the SWG was on at 10% and I did lose 1 ppm Cl overnight. (5.5 to 4.5) no CC this am but could I possibly need to do another shock? I was thinking of turning the SWG off overnight tonight and doing another OCLT to see.

most recent test results (TF-100)
this am:
FC 4.5
CC 0
TC 4.5
pH 7.5 (added 2 cups acid this am to decrease to 7.4)

yesterday:
FC 5.5
cc .5 or less (1 drop)
TC 6
CH 340
TA 130
CYA did not measure, just added 3 # to bring level up to 60
salt 3100

any suggestions? aside from making the landscapers do their masonry cuts far away from my pool?

Sound like you are doing everything right.

Your TA might be a little on the high side. I would slowly work it down to around a goal of 80 or so by dropping your PH to 7.2 with acid, and then aerating to get back to 7.5. There is a section in pool school that covers this. It will take some time and many cycles to get it down.

There is also some posts that mention adding small amount of DE to sand filters to help the filtering of fine dust particles. Something to consider.

thank you.
I think I'll try the OCLT tonight to make sure I don't need to shock.
I probably will wait a few days to see if this clears, since it's pretty minor.
Then I'll go after the TA.
I'll check into adding DE but I'm a little skeptical. I know my PB would probably disapprove!

just in case anyone is following this topic-
it turns out that the slight cloudiness must have been masonry/rock dust.
my pool is sparkling again since my filter has taken care of it. it took about 3 days to go away completely.
thank you TFP!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.