Total Noob with a Teeny Pool in need of advice

Aug 9, 2011
Of course I started this whole pool thing thinking I could just add water, turn on the SWG and enjoy the pool. Well, that was 6 weeks ago. I didn't know it, but I was fighting mustard algae from the get go (thought it was just pollen). We kicked up the SWG, cuz we weren't reading any FC in the pool. 4 weeks in, it turned to a nice swamp green. I shocked it with 8oz. of Dichlor. That cleared it right up, but then my SWG died and only shows a service light. I finally started reading TFP about two weeks ago and have been learning a lot! I'd like to use the BBB method until and after I get my waranteed SWG from Intex. The mustard algae came back 3 days ago and I thought it was just green algae so I shocked it with 5.7oz of 48% cal-hypo to bring the FC up to 10. The next night the FC was 0 and I realized that it was mustard algae so I shocked it with 20oz. of cal-hypo (all that I had on hand) and 2oz. of trichloro-s-triazinetrione to bring the FC up to 44 (mustard algae shock level).

Today it looks much better. I finally got my TF-100 kit (probably overkill for my little pool) today and would like some advice as to where to go from here.

Any help is much appreciated!

8/11 @ 7pm
FC 3
CC .5
TC 3.5
PH 7.5
TA 220
CH 250
CYA 0 or low (I don't know why, especially after adding pool shock)
Salt 2000
Borate 0
Tmp 76

Welcome to TFP MIke :wave:

Add enough CYA, to get to 30ppm. Then raise your FC to 12 with bleach and hold it there as often as possible, with filter running 24.x7. You are done shocking when the water is clear, cc is 0.5 or less and you pass the overnight FC loss test :goodjob:

pool-school/shocking_your_pool

pool-school/overnight_fc_test

Also, for the Intex SWG to operate, salt needs to be at 2600-3500 ppm, with CYA at atl east 60ppm. You can worry about raising CYA to 60 after you are done shocking and the intex replacement is back :goodjob:

TFPMike said:
I finally got my TF-100 kit (probably overkill for my little pool) today and would like some advice as to where to go from here.
Now your dangerous...I do not think it is overkill, your small pool is where I was last year. I learned a lot from that pool and the TF-100! I am assuming you have read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool, the process isn't done until you have passed the three criteria detailed in there. Can you describe why you think you have mustard algae? Any pics?

TFPMike said:
CYA 0 or low (I don't know why, especially after adding pool shock)
You haven't added much from your description, the test can't test below 20 ppm.

Have you read: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/temporary_pool_guide?

Yep! I've read pool-school/shocking_your_pool and pool-school/temporary_pool_guide.

Sorry I don't have any pics, but it was a wheat colored substance on the bottom of the pool that clouded the water when stirred up. I also couldn't keep chlorine in the pool to save my life! It was always 0. After shocking, the filter was filled with a milky tan substance. Today the water is very clear, and FC is at 6. PH is at 8.0. I'm gonna add CYA raise FC to 12 and do the OCLT on Saturday night and hopefully Sunday it will pass.

Do I need to lower T/A? It seems high (220) compared to other recommendations.

Intex SWG is on it's way. Good to know that salt needs to be higher. I'll add that when I get the SWG.

Normally, I'd post:
file.php

but you're a little bit beyond the bud and in full bloom!

A TF100 isn't overkill at all. A small poorly maintained pool is just as disgusting as a large one, and can be just as unsanitary. Just follow the steps in the shocking article, and hit it hard! Also, if you have pool skimmers, pool noodles, beach balls, cover, anything that's been in the algae, toss it in to soak as well. No point cleaning up the pool and then reintroducing the algae again.

LOL - love Barney Fife! I think I've got it nipped. Adding a little muriatic acid every couple of days. Chlorine is hanging steady, but I haven't completed the OCLT yet.

FC 10
pH 7.5
T/A 150
CYA <10 (still need to pick some of this up at the store)
Temp 70 (brrrr, but warm compared to Lake Michigan)

Much thanks to everyone's help. This site has been fantastic. Nothing like helpful people, great help guides, and the DIY spirit!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.