Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can M-Acid loose its powers??

1. Back To Top    #1

Can M-Acid loose its powers??

My pH has been high this week and normally I can treat it once a week and it stays managable. This week I have added Muratic acid everyday and just cant get it to come down at all. I have been adding more than recommended by pool calculator. My pool is about 5 months old and this is a new problem. So I was wondering if maybe it is the acid and not the pool. Can the acid go bad?? I keep it in the garage and yes here in Texas the temperature has been over 100 for almost 40 days now. Could that be my problem? THANKS!

FC 6
    CC 0
    pH 7.7 to 7.8 (usually sits about 7.5)
    CH 600 (yes high but always been that way)
    CYA 60
    TA 70
    36x16 gunite, 14,500 gallons, Jandy 2.0hp VS Epump, Jandy CL460 filter, Automatic chlorinator, Jandy Legacy 400K BTU Heater, Polaris 1.5HP spa blower, 2 Colorlogic pools lights and 1 Colorlogic spa light, Polaris 3/4HP booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Jandy PS4 with PDA, QuartzScapes Montego Bay plaster, OK flagstone coping, spray deck (aggregate effect) - completed 3/2011

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can M-Acid loose its powers??

AFAIK it has an infinite shelf life

3. Back To Top    #3

Unlikely...how much do you typically add to change pH by how much?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hydrochloric acid aka MA does not have a shelf life. It will maintain it's strength indefinitely if kept in a closed container. You might check the strength of the acid you have vs what the pool calculator says and see if they match. If the pool calculator is using 31% for it's calculation, but you are using 15% that might be a problem.
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

5. Back To Top    #5

UPDATE - after going through half the bottle and not being able to get my pH down I finally just bought more, added it and now everything is fine. I have no idea what happened but that bottle was bad. Lesson learned and now my ph is right where it needs to be.

Thanks for the input.
    36x16 gunite, 14,500 gallons, Jandy 2.0hp VS Epump, Jandy CL460 filter, Automatic chlorinator, Jandy Legacy 400K BTU Heater, Polaris 1.5HP spa blower, 2 Colorlogic pools lights and 1 Colorlogic spa light, Polaris 3/4HP booster pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Jandy PS4 with PDA, QuartzScapes Montego Bay plaster, OK flagstone coping, spray deck (aggregate effect) - completed 3/2011

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by partypond
    My pool is about 5 months old and this is a new problem.
    36x16 gunite
    Two factors that will usually mean rising PH. It takes some time for the surface to cure and while it does, PH rises, TA rises and CH rises. It might have been bad acid but it may not be over either.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater