Replacing equipment/new house with pool

Aug 9, 2011
Gonzales, LA
Hi,

I just recently purchased a new home with a pool/spa and I need to replace some equipment and would like some input before pulling the trigger on ~$1000 worth of stuff. My pool is in ground, salt, about 14,000 gals, spa with spillover, cartridge filter, and 5-6 years old.

1) Pool pump/motor is extremely loud. I was going to replace only the motor, but have decided to go ahead and replace the whole pump. I have a 2speed 2HP/1SF A.O. Smith motor and a Hayward pump. I'm considering replacing it with a Pentair Whisperflow 2speed 2HP/1.1SF (Model WFDS-28/011524). I have a feeling 2HP is more than I need, but the price difference between 1HP, 1 1/2 HP, and 2 HP isn't much, so the cost for the higher HP is not a deterrent. I want something very quiet; is there anything else that I should consider without going to a variable speed pump?

2) One of my valve actuators is dead. The outer housing is warm to the touch (even in southern Louisiana), so I removed the cover and it's full of water and corroded pretty bad. I'm pretty sure the board is shorted and beyond repair. It is a Hayward PSA24 and a Jandy Valve. Should I replace the actuator with another of the same or is there something better I should consider? Can I manually turn this valve? It doesn't seem to want to move even when the switch is in the off position or unplugged from the control panel.

3) The air blower never worked. I figure this one is the closest to a no brainer I have. Previous model is a 6315220f, and I found a 6316220F which seems to be the same specs.

Here are some pictures of the equipment: http://imgur.com/a/AOU4w#oKUIC (the picture of the control panel is right after I moved in...the salt level is not 0100 PPM anymore :wink: )

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Welcome to TFP!

A variable speed pump is generally not worth the extra money unless your electric rates are above $0.20/kwh. The one big advantage of a variable speed pump is you can try different speeds to get exactly the experience you want from your spa jets without replacing the pump.

To turn the valve manually you need to disengage the motor drive. Put the toggle switch in the OFF (center) position. Unscrew the Locking Knob above the handle approximately 4 full turns. Push down on the Locking Knob. This will disengage the gear train and allow the handle and thus the diverter to be moved in any position.

Many people never use their blower, you might wait to see how things are without it before deciding if you want to spend the money to replace it.

A variable speed is worth the money if you want to be able to run a salt system or a heater on a lower speed. The 2 speed pumps low speed will not satisfy the flow switches on them. I sell both the 2 speed pumps and the VS pumps to my customers and have had a huge amount of warranty calls on the 2 speeds. Get the VS. It serves as its own time clock too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.