Skimmer Lines Clogged with Concrete ~ Filter Losing Pressure

Apr 25, 2011
Hey gang!

I will try to explain best way I can without getting too wordy.

New pool...opened in June.

I just noticed a few days ago.... when taking out my skimmer baskets...there are two holes on the skimmer. One hole, in BOTH of my skimmers, are completely clogged with concrete that will not budge. I called Blue Haven and they will send someone out. Shouldn't they have checked this?

I thought my skimmers worked fine, since there are always leaves in them in the AM and the frogs and mice always end up in them.

I cleaned the Hayward cartridge filter (4 filters inside) 2 weeks ago. They were really dirty, mostly with mud.

We have a separate line on the sun shelf where we can turn on the "bubbler." My son turned it on today and it is very weak. In order for it to be full blast we must turn off the returns, which are on a separate line.

I looked at the pressure gauge on the filter and it used to be 17, now it is 15. The actual pressure gauge on the filter has water (humidity) inside of it. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I thought I'd add that any way.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this pressure drop?
Anyone experience concrete blocked skimmer lines...and can they be fixed?
Thanks!!

Re: Skimmer Lines Clogged with Concrete ~ Filter Losing Pres

Having one hole blocked or plugged is prefectly normal. Preferred, actually. You have a line going from one hole in the skimmer to the pump pad and the other hole is to hook either an equalizer line or the main drain to. It's a good thing if they run the MD line back to the pad instead of hooking them to the skimmer.

A difference bteween 15 and 17 psi isn't enough to worry about. The gauge could be that much wrong or maybe even bad. They are cheap and you could replace it if you wanted to. Just make sure it goes to zero when the pump is off.

Thanks Bama,

I guess my biggest issue is the bubbler. The pressure coming out of it is much lower than before. I don't know why it suddenly has lower pressure. The water coming from the bubbler only comes up about 1-2 feet now, when before it would go up about 5 feet high.

The only way it goes higher is if I turn off water to my returns and ALL water goes to the bubbler only.

Hi. :wave: Like Bama said, having the second port in a skimmer permanently sealed is fairly standard and not a cause for concern.

How are the rest of the returns (are they pushing like they always have)? You may have an obstruction in that line, or the valve isn't fully open.

Please answer my question about the other return's pressure ( the pump may be congested)

The other returns pressure seems OK.

Interesting that one skimmer hole must be sealed shut. I thought I had a serious problem on my hands. I tried to dig out the concrete myself.

Good thing I wasn't successful...lol!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.