Wanting to add borates but can't find test strips locally

Re: Wanting to add borates but can't find test strips locall

Thats the first place I looked when no one had them locally, but I didnt see them. I'll check again.

EDIT: I found them! I guess I didn't look hard enough.

Test strips are on the way. Since I have never added borates, is it safe to assume that I am at 0ppm and I can go ahead and add the borax and acid maybe say 3/4ths of the required amount to get to 50ppm and test when the strips come in? I think the directions said to NOT test for at least 48 hours anyway.

jsw5620 said:
Test strips are on the way. Since I have never added borates, is it safe to assume that I am at 0ppm and I can go ahead and add the borax and acid maybe say 3/4ths of the required amount to get to 50ppm and test when the strips come in? I think the directions said to NOT test for at least 48 hours anyway.
If you are fairly confident in your pool volume, I see no reason not to follow waterbear's procedure and put the whole amount in. If you happen to end up a little high, that is not a problem, you will eventually drop due to backwashing, etc.

Adding borates is a little like adding CYA. Calculate for 50ppm and expect it to be in there. Testing will only tell you if you've come close, it's still a strip that you have to color match with. Any color other than what is shown on the label means guestimation. We added borates last year but never tested. This year, added makeup borates according to the amount of water that was drained over the winter... I got strips a few weeks ago and found out we nailed it. Only used one strip so far.

As Linen said, make sure all your ducks are in a row before you start. Do it like the adding borates post says to. It's gonna mess with TA and PH, make sure you're adjusted before you start both phases.

Adding makeup borates does not require two steps btw.

I have tried calculating my pool volume but didn't have luck. The lady at the pool store looked at the drawings and said 28,000 gallons the best she could figure. One of the pool store guys that came out and looked and guessed it was closer to 35,000 gallons if he had to guess. I've always been horrible at math, but here is a drawing if any of you would like to help out?

pool.jpg

Alright, I will give it a go...

24*18.25*8 + 16*32*3 = 5040 cubic feet

5040 cu ft * 7.48 gallons/cu ft = 37699 gallons

It is probably lower than this since I am assuming there is a transition between the deep and the shallow, and maybe corners and steps? I would guess this would subtract ~ 6000 gallons...so my guess would be around 31000?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks to all here for helping with my algae problem, shocking process, and adding borates. Here is a pic of the deep end of my pool now. This cellphone pic doesn't do justice for the clarity and look of the water. Thanks again everyone!! :cheers:

2b89abc8.jpg

Thanks everyone!! :cheers: I am amazed at how clear it is. Now I just have to order my SWCG to help maintain my FC so I don't have to go through the nightmare of fighting algae again. Waiting on Josh over at saltpoolguys.com to send me an invoice to order the pool pilot digital today. I hope I like it and don't regret spending the extra $$ instead of going with the compupool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.