Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

  1. Back To Top    #1

    New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    Hello everyone!
    I have been reading some great stuff here, but I have a few obvious questions I"m sure. I am ordering the TF-100 Test kit today so I don't have anything at the moment to test with. The water is looking slightly cloudy and green.

    My first question is, does this BBB system work with a Chlorine based Sand filter pool? Somewhere I saw that it was meant for the Saline pools (pools that use salt water I think).

    Next, how can I calculate the number of gallons in my pool? I see www.poolcalculator.com needs to know this to accurately gauge the chemicals.

    The last question is can my pool be Concrete? I thought it was either plaster or fiberglass (those are the only types I have read about on this site that fit my pool. Definitely not vinyl). And if my pool is Concrete does that change anything?

    My home was built in 1959 so it is pretty old, maybe they don't build pools using concrete anymore?

    I appreciate any help you guys and I can't wait to get my pool under control with regular grocery story chemicals!
    1)18,900 gallons 28 x 15 ft rectangle
    2)Sand
    3)IG
    4)Concrete
    5)Not sure about my pump

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,347

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    Welcome.

    It works great with chlorine that's what the whole premise is designed around. Salt pools are chlorine pools.

    Tell us the shape and the depths and we can get close enough to work.

    Your pool can certainly be concrete. It may be plaster coated or it may be painted or it could even be bare (but I doubt that).

    Take a look at the construction builds, most all plaster pools use concrete in one form or another.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Welcome.

    Tell us the shape and the depths and we can get close enough to work.

    Your pool can certainly be concrete. It may be plaster coated or it may be painted or it could even be bare (but I doubt that).

    Take a look at the construction builds, most all plaster pools use concrete in one form or another.
    Thanks! when I get off of work today, I'm going to head to the new house and take some pictures and measurements and then I'll post those here.

    Also, "construction build" or "pool construction builds" only gave me search results about getting a pool built so I have to ask what you meant by "Take a look at the construction builds."

    I'll get those pictures up this evening!

    I was going to go ahead and buy a few jugs of bleach to pour in the afternoon also, as the pool is turning green.
    1)18,900 gallons 28 x 15 ft rectangle
    2)Sand
    3)IG
    4)Concrete
    5)Not sure about my pump

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,347

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    There's a forum section devoted to construction projects. Take a look through it when you have time.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Patrick_B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Midland TX
    Posts
    15,001

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    Hey there,

    Welcome to the forum! Youll find all the info and help you need here. Lots of friendly and helpful folks. Enjoy your pool and Im looking forward to seeing it. Good move on the vleach too. Looks like the first thing you'll. learn. is how to shock your pool. You might read up on that ove in pool school when you can. Post your questions when you have em.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    When you go to the Pool Calculator, be sure to scroll all the way to the bottom. You can make some assumptions about the pool size, or divide it into sections that you can estimate separately.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

    Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    Still don't have the testing kit so I don't have any results yet.

    Trying to upload the pictures to another site right now... Could not get them up on this site.

    BTW, last night I dumped 2 182oz bottles of the store brand "original scent" bleach in the pool last night. I left the pump running and will go back today after work to check on the status.

    Pictures will be ready to link shortly.
    1)18,900 gallons 28 x 15 ft rectangle
    2)Sand
    3)IG
    4)Concrete
    5)Not sure about my pump

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    OK here are the pictures:


    Steps look really stained


    The Deep end


    Another shot of the deep end


    This is the pool timer which apears to be broken... only the on/off switch works now


    Pump overall pic


    Another pump shot


    Here the pump motor... not sure of its output or anything else.


    This is the adjustment thing at the top of the pump, not sure what all the setting are for. Can't read most honestly.


    This adjustment comes right after the pump "basket" and seems to have two settings but neither did anything I could notice in the pool. While sliding from one direction to the other though, I noticed the jets in the pull stopped.
    1)18,900 gallons 28 x 15 ft rectangle
    2)Sand
    3)IG
    4)Concrete
    5)Not sure about my pump

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    1,082

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    For now what I would do is take a sample to your local pool store and have it tested. Get a copy of your results, but dont buy anything. Then come back here and post those results. That will give us a starting point. I repeat DO NOT BUY ANYTHING AT THE POOL STORE no matter what the so called pros tell you that you need.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    OK, thank you!

    I'll take a little Rubbermaid container of water to the pool store after work. today.
    1)18,900 gallons 28 x 15 ft rectangle
    2)Sand
    3)IG
    4)Concrete
    5)Not sure about my pump

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    Ok, I'm nowhere near as knowledgable as some of the other guys on here, but I couldn't help but notice that it looks like your filter valve is set to recirculate. If I remember right, that means that the filter is not filtering, just circulating water around the pool with no filtration. Can anyone confirm if I'm reading that right? If so, you should shut off the pump and move the lever two spaces clockwise around the dial by pushing down on the handle and rotating the handle in a clockwise motion. That will set it to filter and it should start filtering the dead algae out of the pool as you kill it with the chlorine.
    AG Intex Ultraframe 20'x48" holding 8000 gal
    In process of upgrading to a 75GPM Sand Filter and 3/4hp pump

  12. Back To Top    #12
    Optica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    70

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    I'm going to comment on your pictures you showed and try to help explain what the controls do:

    Picture of steps - have you tried brushing the steps with a pool brush to see if that is just dirt or actual stains?

    Bottom of pool deep end - same here..have you tried brushing or are they stains? I see you have a Hayward Navigator pool cleaner. These are nice cleaners when working properly. When the pump is on do you see the cleaner moving around the pool?
    Where does the hose from the cleaner plug into? the skimmer or a dedicated connection on the side of the pool wall?

    Pool timer - this is a basic pool timer and can be replaced very easily and not too expensive. If you are not handy with wiring or do not want to attempt, hire an electrician as there could be exposed high voltage present during replacement. Should take less than an hour to replace. If you attempt, make sure circuit breakers for pool equipement are turned off/de-energized first.

    Control on top of filter - the handle controls the mode that the water flow is in. you have these settings that I can see: closed (no flow into filter), backwash (used to clean out the sand by reversing flow through the sand, when back washing, the water should be coming out the lone pipe near the wall. You should have a temporary drain hose that clamps to the end of that pipe that you can run out to your curb gutter. you don't want to backwash and flood your pool equipment area or backyard), Recirculate ( the normal filter working mode), Rinse (used after backwashing to clean out the filter housing, pipes) Filter Winterize (not sure but this must drain out the filter for winterizing in cold climates).

    3 way valve in front of pool pump - this selects where the pump is drawing water from in your pool. With the handle on one side, water should be coming from your skimmer, the other side should select either dedicated pool cleaner line or main drain. Where your pool cleaner is attached will decide if you have dedicated cleaning line or not. If your pool cleaner is hooked up to your skimmer opening then you do not have a dedicated cleaner line and the other position would be main drain.

    The water from the filter returns back to the pool at the pool jets (also called pool returns).

    To start with, you need to get a quality pool test kit. Many here recommend the TF100 or the Taylor K-2006. Until then, post the pool store test results so we can see what shape your water is in. What chemicals did the owner leave you and what have you been using in the pool up to now?

    Are you manually running the pump much since you mentioned the timer portion is not working?

    Did the previous owner leave you pool equipment such as leaf nets, pool brushes, chemicals?
    ___________________________________________________
    12,000 Gal IGP, Gunite/Plaster, Pentair DE & Pump, Heliocol Solar, K-2006, BBB'd & Borated.

  13. Back To Top    #13
    Optica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    70

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    Restockton is correct..I messed up when looking at photo, recirculation mode does bypass the filter. It should be in "filter" mode as he says.
    ___________________________________________________
    12,000 Gal IGP, Gunite/Plaster, Pentair DE & Pump, Heliocol Solar, K-2006, BBB'd & Borated.

  14. Back To Top    #14
    htownjeeper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Nassau Bay, TX
    Posts
    199

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Optica
    Restockton is correct..I messed up when looking at photo, recirculation mode does bypass the filter. It should be in "filter" mode as he says.
    That's the way I read it as well. Looks like "filter" is in the top left of the photo. At about 10 o'clock if it was a clock face.
    22,000 inground Fiberglass
    DE Filter Pentair FNSP 48
    Century Centurion 1.0 HP 1.25 S.F. 3450 RPM

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    Quote Originally Posted by restockton
    Ok, I'm nowhere near as knowledgable as some of the other guys on here, but I couldn't help but notice that it looks like your filter valve is set to recirculate. If I remember right, that means that the filter is not filtering, just circulating water around the pool with no filtration. Can anyone confirm if I'm reading that right? If so, you should shut off the pump and move the lever two spaces clockwise around the dial by pushing down on the handle and rotating the handle in a clockwise motion. That will set it to filter and it should start filtering the dead algae out of the pool as you kill it with the chlorine.
    Wow! I left the pump running all night too! I will make that adjustment when I get home!

    Thank you!
    1)18,900 gallons 28 x 15 ft rectangle
    2)Sand
    3)IG
    4)Concrete
    5)Not sure about my pump

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Optica
    I'm going to comment on your pictures you showed and try to help explain what the controls do:

    Picture of steps - have you tried brushing the steps with a pool brush to see if that is just dirt or actual stains?

    Bottom of pool deep end - same here..have you tried brushing or are they stains? I see you have a Hayward Navigator pool cleaner. These are nice cleaners when working properly. When the pump is on do you see the cleaner moving around the pool?
    Where does the hose from the cleaner plug into? the skimmer or a dedicated connection on the side of the pool wall?

    Pool timer - this is a basic pool timer and can be replaced very easily and not too expensive. If you are not handy with wiring or do not want to attempt, hire an electrician as there could be exposed high voltage present during replacement. Should take less than an hour to replace. If you attempt, make sure circuit breakers for pool equipement are turned off/de-energized first.

    Control on top of filter - the handle controls the mode that the water flow is in. you have these settings that I can see: closed (no flow into filter), backwash (used to clean out the sand by reversing flow through the sand, when back washing, the water should be coming out the lone pipe near the wall. You should have a temporary drain hose that clamps to the end of that pipe that you can run out to your curb gutter. you don't want to backwash and flood your pool equipment area or backyard), Recirculate ( the normal filter working mode), Rinse (used after backwashing to clean out the filter housing, pipes) Filter Winterize (not sure but this must drain out the filter for winterizing in cold climates).

    3 way valve in front of pool pump - this selects where the pump is drawing water from in your pool. With the handle on one side, water should be coming from your skimmer, the other side should select either dedicated pool cleaner line or main drain. Where your pool cleaner is attached will decide if you have dedicated cleaning line or not. If your pool cleaner is hooked up to your skimmer opening then you do not have a dedicated cleaner line and the other position would be main drain.

    The water from the filter returns back to the pool at the pool jets (also called pool returns).

    To start with, you need to get a quality pool test kit. Many here recommend the TF100 or the Taylor K-2006. Until then, post the pool store test results so we can see what shape your water is in. What chemicals did the owner leave you and what have you been using in the pool up to now?

    Are you manually running the pump much since you mentioned the timer portion is not working?

    Did the previous owner leave you pool equipment such as leaf nets, pool brushes, chemicals?
    1. Brushed the steps after the photo and most of the marks are stains.
    2. Brushed the deep end after the photos too. It appears that the darkest spots are stains and the lighter stuff in the middle seemed to puff up after my brushing. As for the cleaner, it does operate when the pump is on (pump was off for photos). The cleaner is plugged into an valve just outside of the skimmer. I could not figure out how to stop the cleaner or the valve from sucking so I left the cleaner on.
    3.Pool timer: thank you, I will look into that.
    4.Control on top of filter: OK thank you for this info, So "Recirculate" is the proper setting for using the filter?
    5.3 way valve: I guess the 3rd selection was unclear to me. When the handle was on the middle selection all water stopped coming from the pool returns (thanks for the name) in the pool but on either end of the handle's selection water pumped from the pool returns. Does that make any sense?
    6. Kit has been ordered and I will get the water tested this evening. The owner left no chemicals. Yesterday I poured 364 oz of Store brand "original scent" bleach into the pool.
    7. Pool pump has been running for 17hours as of now, and will continue to run up until at least the 24hr mark today when I can get back to the house after work as the timer is not working.
    8. The owner left a net with a hole in it, a brush with bristles nearly worn off, and a bent telescopic pole that no longer telescopes lol.

    Thanks for all the input.
    1)18,900 gallons 28 x 15 ft rectangle
    2)Sand
    3)IG
    4)Concrete
    5)Not sure about my pump

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    Thanks restockton, Optica, and htownjeeper,

    I'll change that tonight (pump to filter from recirculate). So, my pool will have been running in re-circulation for 24hrs! Probably won't look any better today when I get there then, just cloudy?

    I will continue to run it over night in "filter" mode tonight I guess.

    Thanks for the help everyone.
    1)18,900 gallons 28 x 15 ft rectangle
    2)Sand
    3)IG
    4)Concrete
    5)Not sure about my pump

  18. Back To Top    #18
    linen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    8,649

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    Quote Originally Posted by b3dw23
    4.Control on top of filter: OK thank you for this info, So "Recirculate" is the proper setting for using the filter?
    Probably a typo on your part... "filter" is the proper setting for the system and where you will leave it set for 99.9% of the time. In filter mode, it uses the filter. In recirculate mode it bypasses the filter media.

    By the way, "backwash" is the second most used position, followed by "rinse". Basically when your filter pressure goes up 5-8 psi from it's clean level, you backwash until it is clear, then you switch to rinse until the water runs clear, then leave it in filter again. Only move the valve when pump is off. The backwash will come out of the "Z" tube on the left of picture of the your pad, so you probably want to add a backwash hose to direct the water to a better location.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

  19. Back To Top    #19
    Optica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    70

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    b3dw23,

    Make sure when you buy bleach it is unscented and has no other additives in it like thickeners (for no splashes). You mentioned "original scent" bleach which to me indicated it may have additives in it to make it smell "original"...whatever that is.

    Also sounds like you have a dedicated suction line for your pool cleaner which means the valve in front of your pump will select between pool cleaner or skimmer or from both at the same time. I have a Hayward navigator also and similar valving to yours and I am able to run the pool cleaner and partial suction on the skimmer at the same time. It depends on amount of suction from your pump but you might not be able to do this. The navigator came with a suction measuring tool to measure the suction, to help set the proper suction needed by the navigator. Mine didn't need the valve set to full pool cleaner to get the proper amount. your might be different and without the tool to measure, I would open the valve just enough to the pool cleaner side so that the pool cleaner is moving around easily on the bottom of your pool. You may find that you can do this and still have some flow coming from the skimmer too. This valve can let water come in from both pipes if you set the handle in the right position.

    there are some things you can do to help identify the stains and possibly lighten/remove them once you know what they are. read up on pool school section.
    ___________________________________________________
    12,000 Gal IGP, Gunite/Plaster, Pentair DE & Pump, Heliocol Solar, K-2006, BBB'd & Borated.

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    299

    Re: New home owner that has never owned a pool.

    Quote Originally Posted by Optica
    b3dw23,

    Make sure when you buy bleach it is unscented and has no other additives in it like thickeners (for no splashes). You mentioned "original scent" bleach which to me indicated it may have additives in it to make it smell "original"...whatever that is.
    "Original" scent is the same as unscented, so no worries there.
    Nicole

    21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •