Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Polaris booster pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Polaris booster pump

The 3/4 hp booster pump for my Polaris 380 has been noisy for some time and now sounds like it's going to self-destruct. So, I pulled it out and took it to a local pump servicer who is going to take a look at it today and tell me what it needs. I can get a new Hayward pump delivered for $176, so I have to decide whether to repair or replace. Anyone have any thoughts?
    20,000 gal in-ground, vinyl liner, Hayward DE-3600 filter, Polaris 380, Purex Triton valve 27-1141. North Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

Coastalish 'down easter'
    Perryy, welcome to TFP!

See what the repair guy has to say about the cost of repair, also see if he will warrantee the work for at least 90 days. It's probably the bearings that need to be replaced,. The seals (especially the shaft seal assembly ) should be replaced at this time. If the entire new pump comes out being <$75 more than the fix with a 90 day warrantee and new seals I would get the new pump (which will have a 1 year warrantee).

I wish you well with the booster pump whichever way you go As always, if you need more help/ clarification - simply ask and we'll help you as much as we can
    Luv& Luk

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)