Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ashes in pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Ashes in pool

Courtesy of the Great Dismal Swamp on fire, when the wind shifts blowing it toward the ocean, we get ashes falling from the sky! It's getting all over and into everything including my pool! The water is a little cloudy. I have been vacuuming it every other day and cleaning the skimmer out daily. I do have a skimmer sock which seems to help collect the junk.
    Anyone else living in NE North Carolina or Southern VA experiencing this mess?
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ashes in pool

I would be interested to know if you experienced extra FC extinction and/or a drop in CYA during the ash storm. I had something similar a few years ago and has issues keeping FC.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Try a good liquid polymer water clarifier. Leslie's and Natural Chemistry have good ones. The more you can dilute the dose with water before adding it to the pool will make it work even better. You may need to add it twice. Be sure to check your filter pressure and backwash or clean your filters when the pressure goes up by 8 psi over clean. The problem is that ash is broken into smaller and smaller particles as it contacts the pump impeller. It is essentially chopping up the ash into finer particles. They become so small that they can pass through your cartridge (or a sand filter). Clarifiers coagulate these small particles and clump them together (flocculation) so they can be filtered. They work very well in California where they have brush fires.

4. Back To Top    #4

I heard on the news the other day that the fire is finally out!
    I did use some Clarifier to make the particles clump and kept vacuuming every 2-3 days. It's nice and clear now.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit