Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Metals in my fill Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Metals in my fill Water

I am having a tough season with evaporation and/or pool water loss so I need to keep filling pool. There a lot metals in long island water so my water is not as crystal as I like (and a few minor stains). Does anyone recommend Jacks Purple or something cheaper???
    ...I have a SWG.
    24,500 gallon plaster i/g
    sand filter (Hayward S-200)

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Metals in my fill Water

The ascorbic acid treatment is typically used to remove stains:

After they're gone, a sequesterant like Jack's will keep them from depositing again. Phosphonic acid derivatives (like HEDP) are the best sequesterants, but I don't know what the cheapest one is. Metal Free is not the same kind.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Metals in my fill Water

Our fill water from a well has trace amounts of Iron and over time it causes stains.
    I used Jack's Magic Purple Stuff for 2 seasons in our saline pool and it worked well.

I am currently testing the Blue Wave brand of Super Rust & Scale Remover.
    It is an HEDP based sequestering agent at 1/3 the cost of Jack's purple stuff.
    The MSDS lists only a proprietary blend; however, the shipping classification UN 3265 and (1-Hydroxyethylidene diphosphonic Acid)
    Start-up dosage: 15 oz. per 15,000 gallons. Maintenance dosage: 5 oz. per 15,000 gallons.

For pools with only minor issues with Iron, carefully monitoring PH and regularly adding a sequestering agent seems to be a cost effective solution.

I have also been watching the threads on the new product to the market CULator. While the convenience of this product would be a plus, the annual cost would be much higher than the regular use of a sequestering agent.

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.