Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Start with BBB and then to SWG ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Start with BBB and then to SWG ?

I have a new 21' AGP. I still have to hook up the filter and pump after the pool fills.
    I have all the stuff for salt (the SWG and the salt) but I am having second thoughts on it.
    Id like to try the BBB method and see if adding chlorine everyday is THAT big of a deal and if the water feels good enough for me. Can I do this ? or do I have to start with one or the other ?
    I would think its VERY hard to go from SWG to BBB but ez to go from BBB to SWG.
    21' All Steel AGP with Resin caps, Heyward S244T Sand Filter, Heyward 1HP 2 speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Start with BBB and then to SWG ?

A saltwater pool is a chlorine pool. The only difference is that you have more salt in the water in order for a SWG to operate and produce chlorine. A SWG automates chlorine delivery and you are esentially SWGBB vs BBB.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Does the salt water generator have copper also?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Some people also put pool salt into their BBB pool to soften the water a bit, plenty of threads on that.
    I was going to try that this summer - but summer is rapidly vanishing here so I think I'll wait until next year.

I have a 20' agp and I test every other evening (takes 15 min or so and my 5 year old helps me), I add an avg of 6-8 cups of bleach to the pool per night. Occasionally Borax has to go in (takes 5 minutes) and a couple of CYA samples per summer (2-3 minutes). Our pool water looks awesome.

If you can handle that maintenance schedule than BBB will work for you, obviously skimming and vacuuming is extra time but salt won't free you of that. If your honestly not into that level of commitment that then perhaps you should consider some automation.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm still on the fence with it.

Not fully convinced it's gonna be easier w/swg. Still waiting for my pump house to be finished so I can't say for sure but after three days of tablets I actually miss hanging out w/my pool every night adding bleach. I only used the tablets cuz they got wet when I was running out of bleach while shocking last week and I figured may as well let them add CYA and dissolve in preparation for the SWG.

I hate the way they make the pool smell btw... just not fresh! I LIKE using bleach. Simple.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by frogabog
    I'm still on the fence with it.

Not fully convinced it's gonna be easier w/swg. Still waiting for my pump house to be finished so I can't say for sure but after three days of tablets I actually miss hanging out w/my pool every night adding bleach.
    Get off the fence ...the swg will allow you run a slightly lower FC level...and you can go out of town with confidence that something is minding the pool...
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

7. Back To Top    #7

Unfortunately pump house construction apparently only occurs one day a week. H had to re-arrange the layout to fit in the space we have, then painting had to be done, and then I wondered if I would be able to read the filter valve with the roof in place... construction ceased, beer was brought out, and a fire lit, lol.

H doesn't get along well with woodwork btw... he's a little too "precise" to have that go smoothly or timely. If that makes any sense. Something dad would have built in an hour, not near as pretty though.

Out of town would mean the coupler to the out drive was in place so we could be salmon fishing, or the 22' boat maybe wasn't behind the big one that can't be moved cuz the motor is hanging above the bilge on a chain. Mah beautiful boat sits in the driveway waiting while H fusses about ***edit*** about no time to fix it lamenting about no hogs (salmon season is very important to him)... constructing pump houses for sand filters and SWG he doesn't think necessary. ARGH! Mechanical stuff goes much faster and smoother than woodwork... if the project ever was re-commenced.

Salt is in the pool. I'm committed regardless. Maybe this weekend?

I use POP for all kinds of circumstances.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

8. Back To Top    #8

Having a SWCG will spoil you. You don't want nor need the copper. I add a gallon of MA a month. vacuum every week or two. Check the chemistry two or three times a week. That's it...and our pools sparkles like a diamond!
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

9. Back To Top    #9

+1 here also. I wish I'd done it years ago!
    12,900 Gal. 24' X 48" ABG Vinyl Round (17th Birthday)
    1HP Hayward Pump w/S180T Hayward Sand Filter
    AquaTrol RJ SWCG 2011 startup
    TFP Method since '09, TF100
    50ppm Borates, June '12

10. Back To Top    #10

gdog, go ahead and use the SWG. You have it, no reason not too. If its the Intex unit with the copper ionizer, disconnect the copper portion. Use the Google search feature, bottom left corner of your screen - for more info on what I am referring to.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com