Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Issue when turning off pump...water shoots out skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Issue when turning off pump...water shoots out skimmer

According to my pressure gauge on my filter I don't need to backwash. However, the last time I shut off my pump water shot out of skimmer and caused the skimmer cover to fly off and the basket was no longer sitting flush. Any idea what the cause may be?
    18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Issue when turning off pump...water shoots out skimmer

Sounds like you may have air trapped in the filter. Is there an air bleed valve you can open?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Sounds like you may have air trapped in the filter. Is there an air bleed valve you can open?
    Not that I have seen.
    18x36 IG Vinyl 23,000 gal, AO Smith 48Y 1hp pump, Jacuzzi Laser Sand Filter 250L, T104R, K2006, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I agree with zea#, You have air trapped inside your filter. What you will need to do if the air persists is to trace down the air leak. It is on the suction side of your system. The pump is sucking in air and forcing it in to the top of the filter and building up pressure. When the pump is turned off, the compressed air in the filter forces the water back through the system and out the skimmer

If you have no relief valve, is air coming out of the returns...pump running?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I typed a big long post for this and wouldn't you know it. My wireless modem died!

Anyway, I agree that you are getting air in the system.

Check the skimmer weir to make sure it operates freely.
    Check the water level to make sure it's about 3/4ths the way up the skimmer face.
    Check, clean and lube the pump basket o-ring and sealing surface.
    Check and reseal the pump basket drain plug(s). There may be more than one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    I agree with zea#, You have air trapped inside your filter. What you will need to do if the air persists is to trace down the air leak. It is on the suction side of your system. The pump is sucking in air and forcing it in to the top of the filter and building up pressure. When the pump is turned off, the compressed air in the filter forces the water back through the system and out the skimmer

If you have no relief valve, is air coming out of the returns...pump running?
    I haven't seen any bubbles. That said I have my return eyeballs pointed up so I'll try pointing them straight to see if I see any bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I typed a big long post for this and wouldn't you know it. My wireless modem died!

Anyway, I agree that you are getting air in the system.

Check the skimmer weir to make sure it operates freely.
    Check the water level to make sure it's about 3/4ths the way up the skimmer face.
    Check, clean and lube the pump basket o-ring and sealing surface.
    Check and reseal the pump basket drain plug(s). There may be more than one.
    My skimmer doens't have a weir. The water level is about 1/2 up the skimmer. What should I lube the pump basket o-ring with? Also, what should I reseal the pump basket drain plug with.

7. Back To Top    #7

Start by looking in your skimmer when the pump is running and see if it's creating a vortex sucking in air once in a while. You may have to watch it a while before you see any.

Then clean the pump basket o-ring and sealing surface and lube the o-ring with silicon pool lube. Jacks is a good one but whatever the pool store has will work.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit