I installed a copper ionizer in June 2011 and man did it screw up.
First of all, I did not have enough TDS in the water for the copper to attach to so the gent I purchased it from informed me I need to add salt. At his direction I added (3) bags or 120 lbs of salt. That did allow the copper to began attaching itself and I had no issues with alge at all. On Monday August 8th, a neighbor wanted to see what I had been bragging about so I removed the ionizer from the 2" PVC T connection MAN WAS I SHOCKED at what I discovered. One of the (2) copper electrodes was completly gone and the other one was about 2/3 gone. I then began looking at my once pretty freshly plastered pool and noticed blue splatter stains by the 1st water jet. In various places around the pool and the steps I have a blueish green stain.
My question is, "What is the best thing I can do to get the copper out of the water and remove the existing stains?'. The pool is about 16,500 gal. I had the pool store test the water and my TDS is at 2300ppm which is way to high (thanks to the salt) they say and can only be lowered if I drain alot of water . The copper level is at .2 ppm. free chlorine, total chlorine and combined chlorine is 0. The water is crystal clear and has always been that way with my DE filter. I still have no alge ( I assume because the copper is still present) but that is the least of my worries at this time. I've heard a couple of guys at work that have used "Pool Stain Treat" that is made by United Chemical and the guys at the pool place are suggesting Jacks Magic Magenta or Blue Stuff.
WHAT YA THINK?