Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Channel Drain covered in shotcrete?

1. Back To Top    #1

Channel Drain covered in shotcrete?

When the contractor's shot the pool they covered the channel drain with shotcrete. You can see the outline of the drain, but it is completely covered. Is this normal? Also if you have an in floor cleaning system(PV3), do you need wall returns as well? Pictures posted soon.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Channel Drain covered in shotcrete?

they usually cover it in cloth or some tape or so and shoot around and over it, they will remove it before they plaster it

or so I hope they do

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

It's a good idea to have a couple/ few wall returns with the in-floor system. They'll provide top circulation so that floating debris ends up in the skimmers.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

This is how the channel drain looks currently after being sprayed over with shotcrete. Also there are no returns only the in floor system.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

Mine looked pretty much the same after shotcrete (gunite in my case) but it turned out all right. Apparently there's a built-in cover that's removed at plastering. See pics at http://gallery.me.com/kellysean1#100034

My pool has an in-floor system but also two returns for the two skimmers. I'm no expert but having both top & bottom cleaning systems is probably a good thing.
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

6. Back To Top    #6

My personal opinion is that I'd have them add at least 2 wall returns. Now's the time to do it, rather than wishing later that you'd had them. All they have to do at this stage of the game is knock a couple of holes in the walls. It's a whole nuther ball game later.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

nutjob,

Wish I would have seen your pool before I started mine. I would have stole some ideas. What a BEAUTIFUL pool. It certainly did work out!!!
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by XsAllOverIt
    nutjob,

Wish I would have seen your pool before I started mine. I would have stole some ideas. What a BEAUTIFUL pool. It certainly did work out!!!
    Awww, you know how to make a guy blush!

(Kahunawahoo: keep us posted on the progress.)
    I laugh—to disguise the tears.
    Size 15,000 gal 510′² | Filtration DE 48′² | Sanitation SWG+O₃ | Placement in-ground (IG) | Finish pebble
    Pumps Intelliflo VS+SVRS main WhisperFlo WF-28 feature | Location Dallas TX US (33ºN 97ºW)

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by nutjob
    ... My pool has an in-floor system but also two returns for the two skimmers. I'm no expert but having both top & bottom cleaning systems is probably a good thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    My personal opinion is that I'd have them add at least 2 wall returns....
    My only 3 returns are in the floor (and they're not even an in-floor cleaning system) with a main drain and 2 skimmers. I've never even considered, in 15 years of owning this pool, that a couple of wall returns would improve anything.

I'm sure Nutjob & Bama have legit reasons for their opinions. I'm no expert, just another country heard from.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks for the responses, drain was protected with a cover and seems to be a non-issue now. Glad to hear others with in floor cleaning systems don't necessarily have wall returns too. The pool seems to be coming along, albeit slowly. Here are some recent shots of the tile going in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. Back To Top    #11

Do you know what brand of in-floor cleaner you have? Paramount normally designs the system after getting the plans from the builder and they include wall returns provide top to bottom circulation.
    13k gallon IG plaster, DE filter, 3/4hp Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Do you know what brand of in-floor cleaner you have? Paramount normally designs the system after getting the plans from the builder and they include wall returns provide top to bottom circulation.
    It is the PV3, by Paramount.

13. Back To Top    #13

That is going to be a very nice pool. Hope to see some progress real soon. Thanks for posting.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem