Heat Pump will not turn on when pump is on low speed

Aug 19, 2010
Northeast Ohio
The heat pump will not turn on when it is on low speed. Apparently, there is not enough flow. My goal was to run the pump on low speed for 24 hours or less to turn the water, and high speed when running the sheer descents or The Pool Cleaner.

The pump is a Hayward Tristar Dual Speed pump 1.5 HP.

We would like to keep the pool around 88 degrees and minimize the electric bill.

Did I buy the right Hayward pump? Should I have bought the Hayward 1HP super pump?

Will I still save money on the electric bill by running the pump on high for around 4-6 hours a day and running on low for around 12-14 hours a day compared to running a Hayward 1Hp super pump on high for 12 hours a day?

What time intervals and how many hours on each speed would you recommend to keep the water turning and pool heated to around 88 degrees?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Heate Pump will not turn on when pump is on low speed

What's probably happening is that, the pump isn't producing enough pressure to trip the pressure sensor in the heat pump. The sensitivity of the switch can be raised or lowered, but it should only be done by a pro.

I'll let others provide more on this, yet still be here to answer your questions

(4000 :whoot: )

Re: Heate Pump will not turn on when pump is on low speed

The easiest thing to do is change the eyeballs to ½" and see if that raises your pressure enough to allow the HP to run. Also clean your filter if you haven't done that in a while.

Another option is to find a flow switch that senses flow above the minimum for your heater. Install the flow switch in place of the pressure switch.

Note: If this is not done correctly, then the heater can be damaged.

Sounds really similar to my setup, except I have plenty of flow to run my heat pump on low. Usually when on low, I have one, maybe 2 psi. Assuming the cartridge is clean, perhaps there is an external bypass on the heat pump that you can close? How about a picture of the pad?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would ask the person who sold me the heater and pump together knowing that the heater couldn't be utilized on low. A VS pump is prob the best option to use the heater without a high speed. This same thing happens with SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.