Imersion Hyperthermia - Beware

The consumer product safety department limits hot tubs to 104 for this reason. Personaly I find it annoying, I like my water at 100 during the summer and 106 to 108 during the winter. Like frogabog mentioned usually there is an underlying factor of drugs, alcohol, or health conditions that facilitate the hot water to cause death.

I would hate to see the CPSD limit hot tubs to 102 because a few people don't respect the water.

Must have been horrible for the family to walk in with kids and find them like that. It was not caused by the tub though, it was a lack of respect for the tub. Tens of thousands die every year in car accidents because people lack respect for the power of the vehicle. Still the government doesn't mandate that cars top speed can only be 60 mph. Why the limit on hot tubs??? Lawyers!!!!

I've got to tell you, even in the middle of winter, I can't stand 102. I never go above 100. I do like the idea of limiting the temp, because there are TOO MANY people out there that don't pay attn to details, quite like this couple. I would think that they would have had to be extremely drunk to die in a hot tub simultaneously, but if they knew what they were doing and got drunk, they would have kept the temp's down much lower. Hopefully a lesson is learned.

A person not under the influence of alcohol will likely get themselves out of the spa when/if they become overheated.

Passing out when drunk is easy. Passing out when drunk and overheated likely even easier. Then you sink down and drown. Thus the "imersion" comes into play. The hyperthermia itself didn't kill them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.