Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Imersion Hyperthermia - Beware

1. Back To Top    #1

Imersion Hyperthermia - Beware

http://www.kgw.com/home/2-found-dead-in ... 44578.html

Sad... :~{

Not much information online about immersion hyperthermia, but what I did find indicates alcohol or drugs as a major contributing factor. I don't go in spas very often but I honestly can't remember the last time I did and hadn't had a drink before, or during the soak.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Imersion Hyperthermia - Beware

I wonder how hot the water was to make that happen.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

The consumer product safety department limits hot tubs to 104 for this reason. Personaly I find it annoying, I like my water at 100 during the summer and 106 to 108 during the winter. Like frogabog mentioned usually there is an underlying factor of drugs, alcohol, or health conditions that facilitate the hot water to cause death.

I would hate to see the CPSD limit hot tubs to 102 because a few people don't respect the water.

Must have been horrible for the family to walk in with kids and find them like that. It was not caused by the tub though, it was a lack of respect for the tub. Tens of thousands die every year in car accidents because people lack respect for the power of the vehicle. Still the government doesn't mandate that cars top speed can only be 60 mph. Why the limit on hot tubs??? Lawyers!!!!
    3500 gallon 14x42 Intex Ultra Frame
    1/2 HP Intex 1600 sand filter/pump - Intex SWCG
    Two 4x20 Fafco solar panels.
    Taylor K-2006
    Marquis spirit hot tub - Grill Dome ceramic grill/smoker

4. Back To Top    #4

I've got to tell you, even in the middle of winter, I can't stand 102. I never go above 100. I do like the idea of limiting the temp, because there are TOO MANY people out there that don't pay attn to details, quite like this couple. I would think that they would have had to be extremely drunk to die in a hot tub simultaneously, but if they knew what they were doing and got drunk, they would have kept the temp's down much lower. Hopefully a lesson is learned.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

A person not under the influence of alcohol will likely get themselves out of the spa when/if they become overheated.

Passing out when drunk is easy. Passing out when drunk and overheated likely even easier. Then you sink down and drown. Thus the "imersion" comes into play. The hyperthermia itself didn't kill them.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.