Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Could it be mustard algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Could it be mustard algae?

I have only had a cc of .5 twice. My fc stays high if we don't use the pool and keep the cover on. We are constantly battling "silt" on the bottom of the pool. Not on the sides. Last night swimming we figured something was up cause the water felt sticky. Checked fc and cc. Fc was 5 and cc was 0.

Checked it this morning and fc was 4.5 with cc of .5. Yes the sun was shining on the pool (cover on) but I check the pool often enough to know that the few morning hours of sun don't matter.

Here are the results:
    Fc 4.5
    Cc .5
    Ph 7.5
    TA 250
    Ch 350
    Cya 40-50
    Temp 89

I know I shouldn't but I did put in algaecide on Saturday. I've used it a few other weeks too when I thought we weren't going to be around to tend to the pool. - biogaurd's inhibit product.

My fc was 8 on Sunday.

We live about 1 mile from a gravel road and there is farmland behind us. Currently the crops are just growing so no dust from there. The water is clear. I can vacuum up the "silt". It easily brushes away and there was hardly any in the pool last night.

Thanks
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Could it be mustard algae?

That's not MA. It's most likely just as you say, silt. If it was MA it'd be growing on the shady side and up on the walls.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply. No shade in my pool except for when the sun is lower than the side! I'll be thankful for the blazing sun!
    24' Round Diamond Star, 54" wall height, 200sq ft sta-rite cartridge filter
    Dynamo 1hp 2 speed pump, 199k Rheem milivolt heater
    Pool rover jr. - our best friend!
    Tf-100 plus borate strips and Taylor k1000.

4. Back To Top    #4

If your water feels sticky, you should do an OCLT (overnight free chlorine loss test) to rule out/in organics.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

My neighbor had "silt" looking a material that vacuumed fine. I thought it might be pollen, but it kept showing up. I did the OCLT, and measured a loss of 2.5 ppm of FC, we are shocking now and not seeing anymore "silt". You might want to try and OCLT?
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.