Good deal on filter system - pump too big but can't pass up

Jul 3, 2011
Central NC
Hey all. I've finally ordered the pool (24' - 54" Sharkline Matrix) and I'm trying to piece together a filter system. I've read all the threads on multi-speed, two-speed, and lower HP pumps being preferred. However, I can hardly pass up a deal when I see it.

150lb. Pentair sand filter (1.8 sq.ft. filter area) with Dynamo 1.5 HP pump - ~$300.00 shipped. Now, by my reading I know that the pump is really too much for the pool size, but I think I can utilize the extra HP for cleaning purposes. If need be I can run the filter less often. I'd rather buy a smaller pump and run it more often but I'm having a hard time passing this deal up.

Opinions?

Re: Good deal on filter system - pump too big but can't pass

Thanks for reinforcing what I should do, and thanks for the idea about selling the 1.5 HP. I'll just buy the package that I'm now looking at and in the meantime, be looking for a good deal on a Dynamo 2 speed 1 HP.

As I mentioned in another thread, the filter is going to be set slightly higher than the water level and about 20ft. away. I've decided on the Dynamo because it's self-priming and it'll pull 8ft. With the price of the Dynamo, the reviews that it gets, and the scenario for my pool consideration, I really want to use the Dynamo pump. I know there are other pumps out there that will do just as well or better, but most are going to be in-ground rated pumps that cost a lot more. Plus, I'm slightly biased since my neighbor works at the Pentair sight here. :)

Update - found the same system with the 1HP pump for the same price.

Update #2 - nevermind. They wanted as much for shipping as the price of the filter system. LOL

1.5 hp on agp is overkill...but it will work. I have a 0.5hp pump and 250lb sand filter, plenty suction and that's pushing through two solar panels :roll:

Got to watch that shipping! They'll get you every time.

I'd seriously look at a bigger filter if I were you. You're gonna be backwashing a 150# filter a lot and with a sand filter that uses a bunch of water when backwashing.

Bama Rambler said:
Got to watch that shipping! They'll get you every time.

I'd seriously look at a bigger filter if I were you. You're gonna be backwashing a 150# filter a lot and with a sand filter that uses a bunch of water when backwashing.

I was considering that as well. However, I notice in your signature that you also have a 24" 54" round and are using the Dynamo 1.5HP. How's that working out for you? I keep being told that 1.5HP is way too much. Not like too much, but like WAYYYY too much. Like super overkill. Do you have multiple returns/high electric bills/etc.?

I got Pool Stored before I knew better.
I run it 8 hours a day and my electric runs about $40 a month.
When something happens to it I'm going to replace it with a 2-speed motor. If the wet end goes I'll get a 3/4 or 1 hp 2-speed.

Most members on TFP you will find at some point have been pool stored...that's how we found TFP. To put it in perspective, a 1.5hp pump will work, but it is not efficient.

It's the equivalent of installing a big block engine in a honda civic, but having no choice but to obey the speed limit. The 1.5" piping, single inlet/return on a AGP is your speed limit.

I like it - "Pool stored". LOL

Well, I haven't even been "pool stored". All of my previous research had been on "buying what everyone else seems to buy." Nowadays, I always search for forums related to what I'm about to get into before I actually get into it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In the case of pool purchasing, it seems to have worked out rather well.

I'm still fumbling around with my decision process here. I'd like to piece together something but I'm not quite sure what yet. Based on my original decision, I've been told the pump is too big and the filter is too small. Just throwing my arms up in the air seems to be a good solution at this point. I've still got a couple of weeks to get something here. Now I'm thinking 2 speed 1 HP Dynamo and a 250 lb. Pentair filter. I don't know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Bama Rambler said:
That combination would be perfect in my opinion (not the throwing your hands up part). :)

Ok, well let me ask you this then. When I was looking at the kits, of course we have the base and the hose that connects the filter and pump together. I know I can pick up the plumbing anywhere, but what about the base? Are those sold separately? I like the idea of the base because I'm just going to sit the whole thing on pavers for now until I get something more permanent. Or do I not need the base? Just dumb questions maybe.

I agree that the base is nice but you don't really need it. I haven't seen them online but I'm sure whoever you buy the filter and pump from can get you one.

Yes - I've been "pool-stored".

Mostly on replacement pumps - I don't have any idea what was on our pool when we first bought the house, but at least one if not both of the ones that I bought before this one were Hayward Supers 1.5 HP (when no more than 1 HP probably would have been good enough).

This latest pump - a Pentair SuperFlo High efficient 1.5 HP single speed - at least we did some looking, before me being in a hurry got it. I was using a Hayward PowerFlo II 3/4 hp as a temp and it served quite nicely as a backup for 2 weeks (originally came with the house as a "pre-Jacuzi" tub pump - If I would have realized I could have just got a strainer assembly for it - I might have just stayed with that (even if it is 28 years old - the amount of runtime has to be really small - as I've had it in storage for 13 years until it ran 2 weeks non-stop on the pool). I plan on getting said strainer assembly when the money around the house is better.

Ok. How about the Pentair SD60 Filter with a 1.5HP dual speed Dynamo? That means I can run .75 most of the time. I can get a good price on that as well. ~$475 for the pair. Not bad, considering that they are both almost $300 separately. I also notice that according to Hayward and Pentair's manufacturing specs, this filter is rated to handle almost twice the capacity of water that I will have. (About 15,200 gallons). The filter is rated to handle 28,000 gallons in 8 hours. According to what I've read though, the bigger the filter the better. It's the pump that you have to be careful with.

Also, this kit includes a twist-loc cord. I assume this is a receptacle that's available at any hardware store? Does it hook up the same way as a regular three prong 115V?

scooperhsd said:
It probably has a L6-20 plug - recepticales for this are easy to find at Lowe's and Home depot, or any standard electric supply house.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just swap the cord out to a regular three prong. I will not be required to use the twist lock since the pump will be using a 3 ft. cord. It will be sitting right next to a GFCI.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.