Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need Your Feedback on Decking

1. Back To Top    #1

Need Your Feedback on Decking

We have 3 options available to us with our concrete decking: 1) brushed; 2) exposed aggregate; and 3) stamped. Brushed seems a bit dull to us, but worry that exposed would be too rough on the feet and stamped would be too slippery.

Would like to know what y'all have gone with; experiences; pros/cons....

Thanks for the feedback.
    29' x 30' in-ground gunite, 20k gallons, superblue quartz finish
    IntelliChlor Salt Chlorinator
    IntelliPro VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump (3hp)
    Pentair System 3 Cartridge filter (S8M500)
    2 skimmers, 3 wall returns, 3 floor returns, 2 drains
    StaRite Max E-Therm 400k BTU gas heater
    2 Deck jets
    SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need Your Feedback on Decking

My stamped concrete is not slippery, but we didn't seal it either.

I like the look of the stamped / colored concrete over brushed or exposed agg, but I think some of that has to do with the style of the yard. Someone just put in an exposed agg decking and it looks pretty cool.

I'm glad we didn't go any darker on our decking. It is already just about to hot to walk on when we have a hot day.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

no textured spray?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare

I like the look of the stamped / colored concrete over brushed or exposed agg, but I think some of that has to do with the style of the yard. Someone just put in an exposed agg decking and it looks pretty cool.

I'm glad we didn't go any darker on our decking. It is already just about to hot to walk on when we have a hot day.

Nightmare:

First, I followed your build and I have to say your backyard is incredible. It's absolutely stunning.

As for our situation, we have an existing stamped/colored concrete patio that we are incorporating into the pool build. Thing is, the patio is quite slippery when wet....we sealed it. So we were afraid the decking would be just as slippery. Never thought of not sealing it. I like the idea of stamping exposed aggregate...I might as the PB about that option. Definitely going with a light color as our existing patio is a taupe/very light tan color.

thanks
    2 Deck jets

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    no textured spray?
    DBfan187:

Nope...not an available option. Sort of like trading Orton to the Dolphins...not an available option.
    2 Deck jets

6. Back To Top    #6

My stamped deck is sealed, I cant say it's slippery but I'm sure more so than some other finishes. No one has slipped yet except the dog one day. As nightmare said, dont go too dark or your feet will toast.
    DONE, 20 x 40, inground gunite, 30" raised bond beam with 3 12" sheer descents, 8' diving board, pentair 420 cartridge filter, vs-3050 pump, intellechlor ic-40, auto cvr, Tahoe blue pebble tech, 6ea 4' x 12.5' & 2ea 1' x 12.5' helicol solar panels, legend robotic cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

imo, if you are going with flagstone coping exposed agregate looks great with it.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ragu
    Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    no textured spray?
    DBfan187:

Nope...not an available option. Sort of like trading Orton to the Dolphins...not an available option.
    burn!

9. Back To Top    #9

Nightmare:

First, I followed your build and I have to say your backyard is incredible. It's absolutely stunning.

As for our situation, we have an existing stamped/colored concrete patio that we are incorporating into the pool build. Thing is, the patio is quite slippery when wet....we sealed it. So we were afraid the decking would be just as slippery. Never thought of not sealing it. I like the idea of stamping exposed aggregate...I might as the PB about that option. Definitely going with a light color as our existing patio is a taupe/very light tan color.

thanks
    Wonder what the long term effects are in not sealing... especially with SWG?

I am also torn on my build. Concrete bland, stamped slippery, pavers to much $$$. I am looking at Cool Deck or Texture-Crete, but have no solid info yet.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by thadius65

Nightmare:

thanks
    Wonder what the long term effects are in not sealing... especially with SWG?

I am also torn on my build. Concrete bland, stamped slippery, pavers to much $$$. I am looking at Cool Deck or Texture-Crete, but have no solid info yet.
    Good point thadius65...I also have SWG. However, I just asked my PB to look into stamped exposed aggregate. He's never done it; so he's going to ask his concrete guy. More to follow....
    2 Deck jets