Will SWCG shut down pump with low flow?

onewomanarmy

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 8, 2011
I've been loving the Autopilot DIG220 SWCG we installed earlier this year. Has made keeping the chlorine balanced very easy - all I've had to do to maintain overall chemistry so far was add some acid. Not bad! :)

Unfortunately, we noticed the other day (early Sunday morning - the morning of our biggest pool party yet of course) that we have a hole in our vinyl liner. Ugh. We had lost enough water that our skimmer was taking in some air - so we had lost a couple of inches overnight. The hole is right under the ladder on one end - my guess is that the robot got stuck there or something. Anyway, I of course headed here to see what the recommended fix is for this sort of thing - and found out about Boxer 100. That morning though we just needed something to hold us over til we could get the Boxer adhesive so we rushed out to Leslies and bought that stuff. Managed to get somewhat of a patch over the hole but notice that one edge didn't get stuck down and the tip of the hole is unsealed. So, still losing some water. Hoping we have better luck with the Boxer when it comes in.

My concern is, if we start losing water at a faster rate and it drops below the skimmer while I'm at work, the pump will run dry. I know the Autopilot needs a minimum flow rate of 20 gpm to run - and it's my understanding that it will shut off (the SWCG) if that minimum isn't reached. My question is - will it also shut the pump off? We do have the Autopilot controlling our pump. Seems like this would be a nice fail safe if it isn't already a feature of the system.

Seems like our biggest problem in patching that hole was getting the patch pulled apart once underwater. Do you leave an edge "unglued" in order to give yourself something to get a hold of once underwater? Maybe I need to put this question in a different section.

Thanks!

I can't answer if it will stop the pump but the swcg will certainly shut itself off under low/no flow conditions. I'm sure someone here will know, and will be along soon.

On the patch. glue it all but leave a little corner loose so you grab it and pull it apart once in the water. You can use a piece of wax paper to hold the corner apart.

OneWomanArmy,

Since you have the Digital unit programmed to turn your pump on and off, via the internal relay, you can use the SET PRIME PROTECT mode. I don't recall if this is in the MAINTENANCE MENU or INSTALLATION MENU.
This lets you program a certain number of minutes in which if the tri-sensor does not detect flow, it shuts off the pump relay. The only hitch to this approach is that if you have any other reason for the tri-sensor not detecting flow (clogged manifold screen, scaled cell), it will shut down the pump too.

Sean - thanks so much for the info - this is good news and a nice safety net within your system! I think our leak is pretty well contained for now - but nice to know that I don't have to worry about that patch not holding.

Bama Dave - I'll try the wax paper. We went through a couple of tries without being able to get the darn patch apart with the Leslies adhesive. Hoping the Boxer adhesive is a little more user friendly. Thanks for the tip! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.