to switch from baquacil to chlorine to salt .... advice?

I'm currently using Baquacil for my new 24' round AG pool. It's only been up since April 2011. Started out clear and beautiful....after about 8 weeks started clouding, got algae .... cleaned the filter, added more chemicals, got fairly clear.... then intense heat - several 100+ days, had to add well water to top it off, stayed cloudy, then had massive rains and had to drain off a couple inches. Two weeks ago, went to vacuum with basic pool vac, stirred up the bottom, pool got cloudier and cloudier, went green, hasn't been clear since. Went to different pool store, asked about switching to chlorine, they said 'don't add anything else but algaecide, keep diluting the water, vacuuming, etc., come back in a week and we'll test for chemicals again' .... i want to replace the cartridge filter once i switch over, but now not sure if I should drain off several inches and add more water, which has minerals and metals, which will continue to turn it colors. i don't know if i should keep draining and adding and go completely to salt or just go to chlorine. Is salt better for a pool in the south that doesn't get shade? or will chlorine be fine? i just want clear water!! what should i really be doing now?

Welcome to TFP!

Switching to chlorine is a bit of a project, but well worth it. Either regular chlorine or a SWG can have the pool positively sparkling in a couple of weeks. Getting a SWG is mostly about connivence, it slightly reduces the amount of work you need to do, but is otherwise about the same as chlorine.

If you haven't already, you should read the article about converting a Baqua pool in Pool School and perhaps read through some of the conversion stories in the Baqua area of the site. That will give you a good idea of what you are getting into for the conversion.

Usually replacing lots of water before a conversion is a good idea. But if you think there are metals in your fill water that aren't currently in the pool it is probably better to do the conversion without water replacement. Is there something specific in your fill water that you know about? Or is this just a general fear?

we have high iron levels in our water, and had to add something when we originally opened it. problem is that my daughter helped with the opening and initial maintenance, but has since returned to school and i'm left with the pool and i'm failing miserably. i am concerned that in addition to algecide that i should be checking pH and TA while the Baquacil is dissipating or weakening. What do you think?

Follow the article mcoonan pointed too, as it says, first thing to do is get ph down to about 7.2, don't worry about TA for now. You will use chlorine to do the conversion. You can decide a later if you want to continue to use liquid chlorine for your chlorine source or if you want a swg to generate your chlorine. l

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.