Can anyone help me identify my pool?

DPawlu

Aug 4, 2011
Central New Jersey
Hi everyone! Seven years ago we bought a house with a custom in-ground plaster pool we don't know much about. We know it was built sometime in the '70s, it's a kidney bean shape, it's got a shallow end with "wedding cake" stairs and a deep end (about 8 ft.) with a notch with stairs. There is a spa section separated by a wall that sits about an inch or two under the water (so the spa and pool share the same water surface). It has these big brass spa jets. It has an in-floor sweeping system (which maybe worked well when it was built, but doesn't work so well now). There is a plaque in the spa section that says "Master Pools Fountain of Life"

MasterPools.jpg

There was a heater connected to the system, but it was rusted out on the inside and I plumbed it out. Unfortunately, the pool has been neglected. These is some scoring on the bottom (looks like a chemical spilled out of one of the returns and scored the bottom) and the plaster has become very rough (previous owner maybe didn't know about CSI). Some of the tiles have come loose. A few years back, I reparied some of the tile damage, but unfortunately, the water level crept up in the winter and froze against the tiles and knocked a few of the out. Fortunately, they are easy to repair.

PoolfromSide.jpg

The deck needs a power washing, and I need to attend to the landscaping around the pool. It's my dream to eventually bring this pool back to its former glory.

Has anyone ever heard of "Master Pools Fountain of Life" or recognize that plaque? I'm just curious as to the history of this pool.

Thanks.

Master Pools is a guild (association) of pool builders. It was started in 1962 in El Monte, California.

Builders would join, and use the Master Pools logos on their work (kind of like a franchise). You could use the builder search to see if there is a builder in your area. If there is, then they might have built the pool.

Thanks, James. I followed your links. There is only 1 builder in NJ: Creative Master Pools Inc. but they are way up in Lincoln Park. I guess they could have come down to central NJ. That is some very interesting info on the Master Pools guild. Not sure that I want to contact them - I think I was just looking for some background.

There might have been a closer builder that has either gone out of business or quit the guild.

You could also check with your local government records office to see what building permits have been issued for your property. That should get you the name of the builder and the dates of construction.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.