LifeTime Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
Northern Maryland (near Delaware)
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So my weir doo used to stick vertical and the pool installer trimmed a squashed gasket or silicone off the side. The foam is good because it floats but it swings freely into the skimmer and back to the pool if the pump is off. So any floating objects in the basket can go back to the pool. I rather have it free than the 2 issues I had where it got stuck and restricted water flow, but is it normal to open toward the pool if there are slight waves in the pool? Otherwise it stays straight for the most part.

Mine swings both ways. :shock:

I always have the pump running when someone's in the pool so it isn't a problem. You could put a stop on the skimmer throat, as Richard said, but that would be a problem for me, as I flip the weir in toward the pool to hook up the vacuum hose, as it has a 90º vac plate so the hose sticks out the front of the skimmer.

just to add: the stopper plate probably has a rubber bumper attached to it to cushion the weir door as it hits the stopper plate. Check that the rubber bumper is still there. It should hang slightly lower than the stopper plate. On my American Products skimmer, the rubber bumper had aged and came off and the stopper plate itself is not long enough to prevent the door from swinging open to pool side. It was a simple replacement of that $5 part and weir door now operates correctly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.