Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Weir question, opens to pool when pump off

1. Back To Top    #1

Northern Maryland (near Delaware)

Weir question, opens to pool when pump off

So my weir doo used to stick vertical and the pool installer trimmed a squashed gasket or silicone off the side. The foam is good because it floats but it swings freely into the skimmer and back to the pool if the pump is off. So any floating objects in the basket can go back to the pool. I rather have it free than the 2 issues I had where it got stuck and restricted water flow, but is it normal to open toward the pool if there are slight waves in the pool? Otherwise it stays straight for the most part.
    15'X30'X52" AGP AquaSports Grande Buttress Free (10,620 Gallons), Hayward Dreamline S190 W Zeobrite, 1.5 HP Hayward PowerFlo LX, AquaLuminator Light+ fountain attachment, Pool Rover, Tf-100 test kit, Speed Stir.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Weir question, opens to pool when pump off

No, it acts as a one-way valve. Debris can flow in, but shouldn't flow out.

Maybe you can find some sort of 3M self-adhesive product, a rubber block or something, to stick up in the skimmer throat to act as a doorstop.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

Mine swings both ways.

I always have the pump running when someone's in the pool so it isn't a problem. You could put a stop on the skimmer throat, as Richard said, but that would be a problem for me, as I flip the weir in toward the pool to hook up the vacuum hose, as it has a 90º vac plate so the hose sticks out the front of the skimmer.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ft Lauderdale, Florida

There should be a stopper plate on the inside top of the skimmer to prevent it opening to the pool. Richard is correct. It should only go one way. Some Generic weir doors will be too short and allow it not to hit the stopper plate.
    Sean Assam -
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators

5. Back To Top    #5
    Southern California

just to add: the stopper plate probably has a rubber bumper attached to it to cushion the weir door as it hits the stopper plate. Check that the rubber bumper is still there. It should hang slightly lower than the stopper plate. On my American Products skimmer, the rubber bumper had aged and came off and the stopper plate itself is not long enough to prevent the door from swinging open to pool side. It was a simple replacement of that $5 part and weir door now operates correctly.
    12,000 Gal IGP, Gunite/Plaster, Pentair DE & Pump, Heliocol Solar, K-2006, BBB'd & Borated.