Super low CYA and high CC - what now?

Mar 30, 2011
Tempe/AZ
My pool is inground, 25,300 gallons, chlorine and plaster located here in the Desert of Arizona. We had a party last week and I did a slight shock and raised the FC level up before the party. Anyways I did my monthly test of the entire TF-100 kit and here are my results. FYI I've been slacking on adding bleach to the pool lately hence the low FC.

FC - .5
CC - 2 (do I need to shock? Why so much CC?)
TC - 2.5
pH - 8.2
T/A - 100
CH - 290
CYA - below 20 ( I filled the entire CYA tube to the rim and could still see the dot)

Given the information what should I do next? Do I clear up my CC problem before trying to raise my CYA? Speaking of CYA, what do I use to raise my CYA as a stabilizer or should I just keep my CYA super low like that?

Any information is appreciated and thank you for the help.

First, adjust your pH, because it won't read accurately at shock level. So get it to 7.2-7.3 then ignore it til shocking is over. Figure out how much CYA you need to get to 30 or so, tie that in a sock and hang it in front of a return. Then calculate how much bleach you need to add to get it up to shock level for 30 CYA and add that. And keep testing and maintaining that FC level. The more diligent you are with the replenishing, the faster the whole process will be over.

There's a how-to in Pool School. It should also lead you to Pool Calculator.

Yeah I've already applied the appropriate amount of acid to lower me down to 7.2, it should be there by now. Poolcalc told me to add 284oz of bleach to get me to FC of 6.

So your saying I need to shock the pool right now at a cya level of 30. Looking at the chlorine/cya chart for shocking it says with a cya of 30 my shock level should be at 12. How long do I keep the FC at a value of 12 for? Do I do that until the CC is .5 or lower?

Richard320 said:
Yes, it's called Stabilizer. The ingredient should list Cyanouric Acid or something similar. It could wait til morning; CYA protects against sunlight, and it's dark now.

Anyway...you keep FC up at shock level until the water is clear, the CC is less than .5, and you lose less than 1 ppm FC overnight. pool-school/shocking_your_pool

ok thanks! My water is crystal clear currently. It never clouded up or showed any signs of algae. The only problem I have is the numbers are way off from where they normally are.

Thanks for your help!

ok i'm adding CYA right now, poolcalc called for 70oz of stabilizer to raise my cya to 30. I have it in a sock sitting in my poolskim. When should I check my cya levels and when should I start the shock process of adding bleach?

Check CYA level in a week. Till then, assume that since you added 30ppm worth, that's your value. Once the sock is empty you can assume it's in the pool. That, or 24 hours afterwards. What brand CYA was it? If it's HTH I'd go with the empty sock as an indicator rather than 24 hours afterwards. HTH is very soluble it seems and I am positive I was able to test CYA 24 hours afterwards with valid results. YMMV on this, so assumption is your best bet instead of wasting a CYA test.

Squish the sock frequently, it will help it dissolve.

Add some bleach now but wait till the CYA is dissolved before assuming full value for calculations. You're going to have to guestimate for the first few hours, and I'd guestimate based on the amount of CYA left in the sock. Test frequently.

An idea... that may or may not be the best but it's still an idea...

Start at shock value for 5ppm CYA. In an hour, test and squish. Then up CYA by 5ppm in the calculator and raise chlorine to the slightly higher shock value it gives you. Repeat, repeat, repeat... till you reach 30ppm value. It should take the rest of the day to get there.

Matrix311 said:
ok i'm adding CYA right now, poolcalc called for 70oz of stabilizer to raise my cya to 30. I have it in a sock sitting in my poolskim. When should I check my cya levels and when should I start the shock process of adding bleach?

Keep it simple. You can test CYA in a week, but for now once the CYA is disolved from the sock assume you have 30ppm CYA. You may start the shock process tonight. Raise FC to 12 and hold it there as consistently as possible, until the water clears, CC is 0.5ppm or les and you pass the overnight FC loss test. Filter running 24x7, except when the filter needs to be cleaned. You should see your water clarity improve some every day. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok thanks! My water is crystal clear currently. It never clouded up or showed any signs of algae. The only problem I have is the numbers are way off from where they normally are.

Need to shock it to break-point to get rid of the CC which is from the party you had. I'm not sure what the latest formula is but it was 10 x the CC which would need 20ppm.

ok thanks everyone!

Again my water is already crystal clear with no signs of algae. I just think from the pool party we had it's messed everything up.

To answer your quest about the brand of stabilizer it is E-Z Clor and came in a 4lb container for like $13

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.