Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CH high in new pool

1. Back To Top    #1

CH high in new pool

So I received my TFT-100 kit today and tested my water. I'm a newbie 1st pool owner. My CH tested at 380 today. This seems to be a little to high. Of course my pH has been swinging to 8.0 everyday because of the new plaster I take. So my question is, will the CH eventually come down once I get the pH more stabilized or do I really need to replace water already? I've been reducing pH to 7.4 everyday with 31.45% MA. Pool calc is showing my CSI at .72 and wants to replace 32% of water. Not sure I need to go that route yet.

Results from todays test:
    12k gallon
    FC: 1.5
    CC: .5
    TC: 2.0
    pH: 8.0
    TA: 90
    CA: 380
    CYA: 20 or lower, added more stabilizer today
    Salt: 600
    Temp: 94

Thanks TFP for all the tips!
    12k gal gunite, Sunstone Plaster, Pentair IntelliFlo® VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Pentair CCP520 cart filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH high in new pool

You can ignore the high CH for now. Just keep the pH in check. You can bring it to 7.2 to keep it from getting as high as it has been getting. You will soon see the pH rises slow down.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

CH will never go down except by splashout or draining.

380 is really not all that bad, you just need to watch the pH closely, which you already are. And if you were swirling by hand and not using a speedstir, it's probably not really that high.

Punch all your numbers into the pool calculator and see what the CSI is. As long as you're at 0 +/-.5 it will be okay. Just take advantage of any rain you get, as that has no CH in it!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks guys, sounds good. Also, we just filled the pool 3 weeks ago for first time. I used a speedstir for testing. I'll bring the pH down to 7.2 after next test.
    12k gal gunite, Sunstone Plaster, Pentair IntelliFlo® VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump, Pentair Intellichlor IC-40, Pentair CCP520 cart filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh and no rain here in Dallas Richard. I think it last rained sometime at the beginning of May.