help me pick a stenner pump

beezar

LifeTime Supporter
Oct 8, 2010
Houston, TX
Hey everyone, I wanted to install a Stenner pump to my ~2500K spa to automate chlorine addition. The spa with a solar cover currently consumes ~10 oz bleach per day in the peak summer (100 deg now!). I'm assuming it consumes around 2-3x that without the solar cover.

I run my pump only half an hour a day (the pump is rather big for the spa) with decent results; don't really want to run it more than 45mins a day so my pH doesn't rise too fast due to aeration.

I was thinking of getting a 10gpd variable speed pump (45MHP10) which would be able to inject a max of ~26 oz in half an hour which should give me some safety margin if the solar cover goes away for some reason.

But do you think that might be cutting it too close? And would I probably have to run my pump longer after the Stenner finishes injecting to mix? Do you think I'd need to get a 17gpd pump instead (max 45 oz in half an hour). Thanks

beezar said:
Hey everyone, I wanted to install a Stenner pump to my ~2500K spa to automate chlorine addition. The spa with a solar cover currently consumes ~10 oz bleach per day in the peak summer (100 deg now!). I'm assuming it consumes around 2-3x that without the solar cover.

I run my pump only half an hour a day (the pump is rather big for the spa) with decent results; don't really want to run it more than 45mins a day so my pH doesn't rise too fast due to aeration.

I was thinking of getting a 10gpd variable speed pump (45MHP10) which would be able to inject a max of ~26 oz in half an hour which should give me some safety margin if the solar cover goes away for some reason.

But do you think that might be cutting it too close? And would I probably have to run my pump longer after the Stenner finishes injecting to mix? Do you think I'd need to get a 17gpd pump instead (max 45 oz in half an hour). Thanks

2,500,000 gallon spa! That's a small lake!

I'm guessing you meant 2.5k?

I've got similar questions and am watching this post for answers..

texasdad said:
beezar said:

2,500,000 gallon spa! That's a small lake!

I'm guessing you meant 2.5k?

I've got similar questions and am watching this post for answers..

Oops! :oops: A spa that size would sure take a lot of gas to heat it up...

And yeah, it's around 2.5K or less.

Also, can someone recommend an electronic plug-in digital timer that would allow me to program the stenner pump to turn on and off to the minute? I have a Goldline automation unit, but it allows programming only in 15 minute intervals. Considering my spa pump is only on for half-an-hour, I need something with finer-tuning control.

I've looked on the web for timers (intermatic, sylvania, etc. sell them), but they don't specify if I can program them to the minute. Thanks!

I have an intermatic I picked up at Lowes that I can program to the minute. There are several models that can be programmed to the minute. You may have to look in the manual or programming instructions to tell.

OK, never got around to pulling the trigger on this, but was about to then realized there were several different electrical inputs for this pump. I'm assuming I need the 120V 60Hz version if I just want to plug the pump into a standard US outlet? Is that right? Do I have to do any electrical wiring or can I just plug it in? Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.