Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What stain is this?

1. Back To Top    #1

What stain is this?

I've noticed a few stains on the floor of the liner. I rubbed a vitamin c tablet on one of them, and pic 1 (taken under water) shows what it looked like afterwards. I had to rub quite hard for a few minutes for the stain to go. I am not sure if it was metal or not.
    [attachment=1:ne55flsi]IMG_1937.jpg[/attachment:ne55flsi]

This pic shows an example of other stains dotted around the pool floor. I think they have gradually developed over the last season. I was using Trichlor until a couple of weeks ago, and suspect my pH was < 7.
    [attachment=0:ne55flsi]IMG_1926.jpg[/attachment:ne55flsi]

Any suggestions on how to get rid of the stains?

current test results
    FC 9.5
    pH 7.6
    TA 100
    CC 0
    CYA 80
    12ft x 24ft x 4ft inground vinyl, 32,000 litres, 3 phase 1.25hp Waterco pump on DIY VFD for cheap variable speed. 18kW Heat pump, Lacron sand filter, Solarmatt, 10kW Solar PV

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What stain is this?

I have/had one of those from a hair pin...in my case it was an iron stain. It eventually faded over the past year.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

Well, if the Vit C worked and you only have a small area of stains, you could crush some in a sock and hold it on the stain for a minute. Keep a close eye on it as crushed vs whole-tab may do a much faster job.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

I am not sure if it was the vitamin C, or the rubbing that did it. I left the tablet on the stain for a few minutes, and didn't seem to make much difference, it was only when I scraped it with the tablet for several minutes that it seemed to disappear.

I'll try the crushed vitamin next time I'm in the pool.

Thanks!
    12ft x 24ft x 4ft inground vinyl, 32,000 litres, 3 phase 1.25hp Waterco pump on DIY VFD for cheap variable speed. 18kW Heat pump, Lacron sand filter, Solarmatt, 10kW Solar PV

5. Back To Top    #5

I have stains like those... What are they? Did you get rid of your's?
    Irvine, CA
    IG Plaster 12,600 gallons, saltwater.
    SWG
    D.E. Filter - 48 sq. ft. 96GPM
    1 1/2 H.P. pump.
    Kreepy Krawly

6. Back To Top    #6

No, not yet. I tried placing a tablet on a stain and leaving it, but the stain didn't go. I did use copper based algaecide when closing the pool last winter (before I discovered TFP) so wonder if it is from that.

Not sure what to try next. I haven't tried the crushed vit C tablets yet though.