White flakes in pool

Apr 30, 2010
Outside one of me returns, i notice on the bottom, white, paper thin flakes on the bottom. Look like pieces of paper, most very small but some almost an inch square.

Chemistry is fine, I have checked with my own kit and the pool store. Had suspected calcium but pool store said it was fine (i don't have that test). I cleaned the metal fins inside the intellichlor, didn't help.

Sometimes i notice lots of flakes, sometimes there are few if any. It's just out of the return closest to the pump. Also, for what it's worth, that return seems to "pop". Can hear it under water especially when the pump is running around 2400 rpm. Also appears small air bubbles are coming out when I hear the popping.

Any one have an idea what is causing this?

TF100 from tftestkits.net. I'd also suggest a speedstir while you are at it, especially helpful while testing calcium. Pool store test results are know to vary widely and ar often very innacurate :(

Here is a link to the test kits we recommend

pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

Also, do read through pool school when you get a chance...link is in my sig...welcome to TFP :wave:

If it is high calium and your fill water is not high in calcium, a partial drain and fill. Even relatively high CH water can still be managed without flaking/scaling, but you have to keep PH below 7.8 at all times and TA relatively low.

I'm also fighting the dreaded white flakes. I brought my numbers into the recommended ranges, tested with a Lamotte Color Q Pro 7:

FC 4.5
pH 7.5
TA 70
CH 290
CYA 70

We are on a well, and water from it tests at:

pH 7.9
TA 95
CH 130

I tried driving pool CH even lower, by water replacements Got it down to 230, fewer flakes but still some, and within a week CH was back up to 290. Not sure where the Calcium is coming from --- only using SWG and bleach for Cl. Pool is 3 yrs old, so I assume leaching from plaster is reduced by now(?) I do also have a problem with Ca scale ring around the tile, at the water level.

I've also tried Jack's Purple Stuff---doesn't seem to help, although it's described as a Ca sequestrant.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Dave

OK. I think I found the problem. Actual CH was 750, not 290. As posts elsewhere on this site suggest, Color Q can give erroneous CH readings. Taylor titration measurement gave 750. Which would explain everything. Now to exchange over half the pool water... :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.