Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Am I getting reliable info from my pool company?

1. Back To Top    #1

Am I getting reliable info from my pool company?

I am so glad I found this site!! .. I built an inground pool 4 years ago. It is a 19k gal, L shaped gunite/vinyl liner pool. It has a 1.5hp Pentair WhisperFlo pump and a Pentair IntelliClor IC40 SWG. My pump just began making a grinding sound as if a bearing was going out. I started looking online for new pumps and found a good price for a Pentair VS3050. The online company started asking me why my pump had gone south so soon. During our discussion I told him my pool company told me to run my pump 24/7 in order to keep it clean. The online company selling the pump said my pool only needs to turn the water over 1 time per day, which I should be able to do in 5-6 hrs, then the pump could be shut down. Some of the info on this site says to turn the water 3-4 times per day? As far as the SWG goes the "cell life" light also recently came on and my local company says I need to replace it very soon. My water has always been crystal clear but I am still wondering if I could save electricity and run the pump for less hours per day. I live in Nebraska and our pool is only open from May-Sept. Thx for feedback!!!

Can anyone clarify how long I should run the pump and how many times the water should turn over?

Additionally, is it worth the expense to spend the extra money and get the Pentair VS3050 quoted about 1k, or just get new motor on old 1.5hp single speed WhisperFlo $400?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Am I getting reliable info from my pool company?

I went rounds with my in-laws on this for about a year. When they installed their old pump it was grossly undersized for their pool, thus they had to run it 24-7.

After we upgraded the pump and filter I told them to only run it 8-12 hours a day when it was clean. They debated about it, but in the end I just started turning it off anyways. We now only run it 24-7 when it is dirty (which with Baquacil is often).

Here's a write-up in the pool school for more info.
    pool-school/pump_run_time

3. Back To Top    #3

One turnover per day is a good starting point. Some pools need a little more, some a little less. For a 1.5 HP WhisperFlo that probably means 6 hours a day or less.

The VS3050 is a wonderfull pump, but it costs more up front. You generally only break even on the extra up front costs if your cost for electricity is more than about $0.20/kWh. The most cost effective pump below $0.20/kWh is a two speed pump. Running a two speed on low from twice as long ends up using about half as much total electricity. A variable speed does even better, but most of the savings comes from a two speed. And two speed pumps cost less up front.

Running a pump 24/7 doesn't shorten it's life significantly. The main cause for short lifespan is water getting onto/into the pump regularly. That can come from a sprinkler, leak in the plumbing spraying on the pump, or leaky pump shaft seal, and so on.

The SWG cell wears out after a while, typically 3 to 5 years. You shouldn't replace it until it actually fails.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thx for the clarification on the pumps. Our price per kwh is .09 in summer and .08 in winter. Do you have experience with any particular 2 speed pumps that are reliable/cost effective? Do I need a particular size HP 2 speed pump.

THx again.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Do I need a particular size HP 2 speed pump.
    Ideally, it should match up to the flow rate of your filter. Tell us the flow rate (gpm) or brand and model of your filter.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Jason wrote:
    The main cause for short lifespan is water getting onto/into the pump regularly. That can come from a sprinkler, leak in the plumbing spraying on the pump, or leaky pump shaft seal, and so on.
    Does that mean that the pump should be protected from all water, incl. rain? Our filter and pump are next to the pool, out in the open.
    27 foot AG vinyl pool (17100 gallon) - Sand Dollar Filter 1.5 hp 2 speed pump
    TFTestkit

7. Back To Top    #7

Filter is Pentair Trition II, TR60, filtration flow rate is 63gpm. I am strongly leaning toward a Pentair VS3050 pump.

Thx for the input....I am learning alot from this site.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

The VS3050 is a great pump and enjoys a good reputation from folks who own it and are on this site. That said, the front money involved in purchasing will probably not get paid back to you.

If it were my pool, I would actually purchase both a larger filter and a 2-speed pump. A filter with a flow rate around 80gpm(even 100 would be good, too) and 1hp 2-speed would likely be a more energy (and front cost) efficient setup for a 19k pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

I like your suggestion. I can get a Pentair TA 100D for which handles 100gpm for around $325. I don't know enough about the 2 speed pumps. The one that died is a 1.5hp WhisperFlo but I think that is just a single speed pump. Do you know of a reliable/cost effective 2 speed pump.

Thx for taking the time.

10. Back To Top    #10

The Hayward SuperPump SP2607X102S is very cost effective in many situations, as long as all you need is circulation and you don't have a fountain or waterfall or spa or other water feature.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

This may seem off topic, but I am wondering:

You said in your first post that you have a 19k gallon, L-shaped, vinyl/gunite pool. I'm a bit confused; pools are almost always either vinyl or gunite, not both. L-shaped vinyl pools are common, but much larger than 19k gallons. A pool with a different volume may need a different size pump. Can you elaborate or post a picture of your pool?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I've seen them both ways before, vinyl walls(tile around the boarder) and floor with shotcrete/gunite steps coated in plaster.

13. Back To Top    #13

you are correct, I made a mistake on the verbage. My neighbor has a gunite pool. Mine is vermiculite covered by a vinyl liner.

Still thinking I will leave the filter the same and get a Pentair Intelliflow VF pump.