Question about a SWG.

Jul 18, 2010
Today, we finally got city water. And I thought we would be home free with having discolored water but I was wrong. We had well water, so I always had to use a filter on the garden hose and it did it's job but I would still have to treat it with metal out. And that got rid of all the iron and our water looked the way it was supposed to. As I said, we got city water today and when the pool was half way full I walked outside to see it had a yellow tint to it. I didn't use the filter on the garden hose, I thought it would be okay without it. We have a saltwater system but we can't hook it up until Friday when the filter pump is delivered. We had to get a bigger one so the SWG would work. So, right now we are using the little filter pump that came with the pool which doesn't filter out that well at all. I have a 12x39 Intex metal frame pool by the way. I called the pool place and the guy told me to go ahead and shock it and add some chlorine to it and then when we hook up the SWG to let it run for 24 hours and see if the water clears up to the color its supposed to. He said it could just be minerals. He said it may not have iron in the water. I guess I would be able to tell by looking at the filter later today to see if there's rust that is caked to it. That's how it was when we had well water before adding the metal out chemical. He said for me to not add the metal out stuff until after we add the shock and salt and wait 24 hours.

I do not want to drain the pool. The last time we added shock (we had well water at that time) it clouded up our water so bad until we couldn't even see the bottom and the guy said that it would take several days but it never cleared up hardly at all. Maybe it was because we have a very sorry filter pump. So, I hope with the SWG and the new and bigger filter pump it will clear it up if the shock clouds the pool.

I know some pool places don't always know what they are talking about so I am here for a second opinion. I was wanting to know will the SWG help get the water back to it's normal color. And if there are other solutions to getting it back to a normal color without having to drain it. Thanks to anyone who can help!

I JUST recently heard from a notable CPO instructor, and Instructor to the CPO Instructors, that if you add a superchlorination dosage and it clouds up quickly, you most likely have Phosphates, Nitrates, or Sulfates. Phosphates you can chemically treat. Nitrates (sweat, fertilizer, bird droppings, ground water) and Sulfates (well water) you usually can't and will need to dilute (drain and refill - partially or completely) with water that does not contain nitrates or sulfates.
If that's the case, a bigger salt system will not resolve the problem.
Most pool stores will have a phosphate and nitrate test kits. Not too sure about sufate test kits though.

You can get a water report from the utility and that'll tell you what's in the water. You'll know if it's metals and every thing else. :) Most places have them online now so you may be able to look it up yourself.

At worse you'll have to have use a sequestrant and you're already familiar with that.

Yellow is usually iron, though it might be something simpler and just go away after a day or two of appropriate chlorine levels and some filtering.

Water that clouds up when you shock is usually calcium clouding, though it could also be a couple of other things.

Their advice is fairly good. Give it a day or two while balancing the levels, and if it doesn't clear up try sequestrant.

Thanks. Well, I think I figured it out. As I mentioned, we had just gotten city water the day that we filled up our pool and I talked to my cousin she has city water and she said that sometimes when they treat the city water it can have a brown tint to it like for a day and she said city water usually doesn't have iron in it. She said that since we had just gotten the city water hooked up that it might have just been stuff coming from the pipes and usually takes about a week to clear thru. The pool guy told me to not use any metal out but I knew that it was iron by looking at the filter, so I went ahead and dumped a bottle of metal out and stirred it around and ran the pump for 24 hours and the next day the yellow was gone. The water is the way it is supposed to be. Tomorrow when we get our bigger filter pump delivered, we are gonna hook up our saltwater system. Hopefully, that will keep our pool water crystal clear, that way it is right now.

I'm not sure if the pool guy is absolutely right, he admitted sometimes he could be wrong. When we had it filled with well water, he tested our water and said it was fine. All he gave us was shock and algaecide for it and then it clouded it up so bad that we couldn't see the bottom of the pool. He said it would clear up but it never did, but of course, the filter system we had came with the pool and it wasn't worth a Crud. It did it's job the clearing out they yellow tint.

Anyway, as of right now, the pool looks nice.

Thanks, the pool is looking nice, Crystal clear. I have one more question. When I check the filter, am I supposed to let the water out of the pump after cleaning the filter or can the water stay in the pump? Sometimes the water is pretty clean mostly. Just wondering! Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.