Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is clorox harmful to the liner?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is clorox harmful to the liner?

I have a question about the closing of my pool, I used to spend $125 on a pool closing kit at a local pool supply and every spring when I took the cover off, it was a green swampy mess.

One of my friends laughed when I was complaining about spending that kind of money and told me he uses clorox bleach, and nothing else, it costs him a total of like $20 and every spring, when he opens his pool, it may not be crystal clear, but it certainly does not look like a swamp.

I knew I was in for a liner replacement this year, so I figured I would give it a shot and he was right, not crystal clear, but certainly could see the bottom, and was amazed.

My question is how harmful is clorox to the liner? Since I did get a new liner this spring, not sure if I want to chance fading it, or ruining it??
    11000 gal in-ground plaster with spa.
    36 ft2 DE (using Fiberclear)
    Sta-rite 1.5 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is clorox harmful to the liner?

Chlorox is not any more harmful than any other chlorine you put into the pool. Powdered chlorine can damage liners if it is not completely mixed into the water and the granules are allowed to sit on the bottom of the pool. As long as it is used correctly, liquid chlorine will not damage the liner. UseThe Pool Calculator or CYA/Chlorine Chart to determine how much bleach to use. Be sure to pour the bleach slowly in front of a return with the pump running. Let the pump run at least an hour after adding any chemicals, and everything should be fine.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

HOWEVER, you need to make sure there is Cyanuric Acid (CYA) in the water. There usually is, but if it's very low (well below 30 ppm) or zero, then the chlorine will be too strong.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4

What they said.

Chlorox is nothing different than the liquid chlorine they sell at the pool store.. only difference is that the chlorox is a more dilute form.

Welcome to the forums by the way! Have a look around and I encourage you to read pool school. If you adopt the way of pool care most of us use here you will be glad you did, you will save yourself some money and headaches every season, and you will never look back!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for all the help, no I just need to figure out how many gallons of chlorox for a 40,000 gallon pool.
    11000 gal in-ground plaster with spa.
    36 ft2 DE (using Fiberclear)
    Sta-rite 1.5 hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by johno
    Thanks for all the help, no I just need to figure out how many gallons of chlorox for a 40,000 gallon pool.
    These links will help:

Chlorine CYA Chart

Recommended Levels

and

Pool Calculator
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Johno, dont forget about the CYA! Very important piece of the puzzle.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits