In-Floor Cleaner Popup

Jul 27, 2011
I have about 12-15 In-Floor Cleaner Popup in my pool, for last couple of weeks, I don't see all of them rotating properly, there 4-5 of them rotating frequently, but rest of them are not in use OR atleast I haven't seen them poping up.

What could be the reason ? Thanks

Melt In The Sun said:
Somewhere, you have a valve that controls water flow to the heads. Are all the heads that are still working on the same zone (going at the same time)?
The valves that are working are not in the same zone, they are opposite sides of the pool, but they are always the one working, It's not random, but quite predictable.

You can see pictures of my pool pump in following thread, which thing control's these head's ? thanks

post301846.html#p301846

It's the one with the "cleaning system" sticker :p

I have the same one; with the pump running, you should see the little paddle on top spinning very quickly, and the gears turning slowly around. If this is working well, the heads themselves may be jammed up. The most common culprit is calcium scale. If you have the tool to remove the heads (or something that will work), it's an easy thing to check.

Feel like posting some test results?

Melt In The Sun said:
It's the one with the "cleaning system" sticker :p

I have the same one
That's good to know.

Melt In The Sun said:
; with the pump running, you should see the little paddle on top spinning very quickly, and the gears turning slowly around.
I can only see from top, that something is spinning very fast, but can't tell whether gears are turning or not.

Melt In The Sun said:
If this is working well, the heads themselves may be jammed up. The most common culprit is calcium scale.
If you have the tool to remove the heads (or something that will work), it's an easy thing to check.
What is calcium scale ? I do have very hard water here in AZ, and when i went for a water test last week, he did mentioned this thing, and recommended for a water drain and acid wash in Off season. Regarding tool, is there any special tool? or I can use a screw driver ? I hope nothing breaks , shall i try to pull them up when pump is running ?

Your help is highly appreciated.

fatboysam said:
I can only see from top, that something is spinning very fast, but can't tell whether gears are turning or not.
You may have to sit there and look a while; the gears should really be moving slow. It may take 30 seconds or so to see them moving, but it sounds like the valve is working just fine.

fatboysam said:
What is calcium scale ? I do have very hard water here in AZ, and when i went for a water test last week, he did mentioned this thing, and recommended for a water drain and acid wash in Off season. Regarding tool, is there any special tool? or I can use a screw driver ? I hope nothing breaks , shall i try to pull them up when pump is running?
Calcium scale is what crystallizes out of the pool water when you have high calcium and pH; very common in Arizona. You likely have a bunch of it on the tile at the waterline. I strongly suspect this is the issue. Are there some heads that pop up only partially? If you stomp repeatedly on one of the heads when it's running, does it seem to loosen up a little?

Can you post a set of current test results, and how you got them (pool store, own kit, etc.)
FC=
CC=
pH=
TA=
CH=
CYA=

Take a read through Pool School when you have a few minutes.

The tool to remove the heads looks like this, but may be slightly different if you have some of their newer heads:
https://aainfloor.com/store/product_inf ... cts_id=145

You may not need the tool to get them out, but it will make it easier. If you're reasonably handy, you can probably make something that would work out of some spare wood and a couple nails.

I have the same pool as fatboysam, my issue is only the stairs, I removed and cleaned all the pop up's but the flow is still only about half what it should be. Also the return flow is not as strong as it use to be. I cleaned the filter, but same problem. Anyone have any ideas on this? All other station Pop up's on the pool floor working with proper flow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.