Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG - Which to Pick, Are they as bad as some say?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG - Which to Pick, Are they as bad as some say?

I am considering the switch from 3 inch pucks to an SWG. Having researched and read online as much as I could find, I narrowed my choice to an Autopilot Digital with an over sized generator the 52,000 gallon unit.

Does anyone have experience with this unit pro or con?

Do you need the full auto-pilot add on to automate the chlorine production or will the digital unit plus ORP sensor do the job?

Is automating the chlorine production with an ORP sensor worth the time and money?

Are the SWG units as bad as some say (Ecosmarte comes to mind here)?

Will the SWG backwash from a DE filter, say 5 or 6 times a year, kill the grass it vents to?

Does anyone have experience with Ecosmarte - pro or con?

Thanks for your time.

Paul
    IG 29,000 Gallons EC75-Perflex De Filter
    265,000 BTU Copper Heat Exchange Heater, Hayward Puck Chlorinator, Converting to Hayward SWG, Polaris 9300, Pentair Intelliflo VS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG - Which to Pick, Are they as bad as some say?

Welcome to TFP

I personally do not like the ecosmart system, but you can google search on this forum (bottom left of this page) to read through past discussions. I love using a SWG and have no problem with backwash water impacting plants/grass.

I'm not an ORP expert, so I'll let someone else answer that, other than I have read multiple times that ORP systems are often not worth the additional cost.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

ORP is more than useless with the CYA levels a swcg requires. I'd just go with the swcg of your choice and maybe add a pH control system. You don't need anything else.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

We have used an AutoPilot Digital for three years and have not experienced any problems. Your mileage could differ. I did not think that the expense and maintenance of the ORP was wise for us. I set the % run time in June and rarely have to make a change. Our Cl loss does not vary during the summer so we do not have to change the % run time. The AutoPilot temperature sensor increases the % run time as the water temperature increases.
    30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Pauljahn,

I think you picked the right one, but I can be a bit biased!

You can always start with the #75003, Digital Power Supply for Total Control; #75005, 220 volt acid pump with 15 gallon tank; and manifold assembly with cell and tri-sensor. When programmed for pH Control Mode, it allows you to manually adjust the Purifier % output and the Acid Feed dosage (in oz per day or per week).

If you feel the need to go to full automation, using the ORP and pH sensors, just add #75001, Pool Chemistry Controller.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

6. Back To Top    #6

I have an inground 27000 gal pool and I installed a Pool Pilot Digital when I first built the pool 7 years ago, switched it on set it to 11% and done nothing to it. It is currently set to 11% which I know is too low and I should change the power level and I run the pump 20 hours per day, but for the first 6 years ran it 24 hours a day 365 days of the year. I have emptied the strainer gauze twice and that is it. It just generates loads of chlorine if I need to shock it, and I could not be more pleased with it. I have it installed in pool house so I don't know if keeping it dry helps but I have been on the verge of buying a spare unit just to be sure. My unit has the biggest sell, the 60, and I believe that it is the same as the 52. I have no intention of adding any more control as the pH does not seem to change that much.

I would recommend this unit to everyone and I certainly feel I have got value for money.

Ian
    27,000 gal liner pool. Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter, Dolphin Dynamic robot cleaner, Dolphin Supreme M4 pool cleaner, Aquatemp FT40Kst 3 phase Heatpump, Pentair IntelliFlo VF 3.2KW pump, Aquamatic Hydromatic safety pool cover, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SC-60 salt water generator. 2 Inch piping throughout.

7. Back To Top    #7

I have the large AutoPilot with the Total Control option. This year I disconnected the Total Control ORP/PH sensor portion because it was too much trouble to maintain and wasn't improving anything, but I totally love the main unit (equivalent to the Digital model) and would never give it up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Jason,

For the autopilot is the amount of chlorine produced controlled by setting a level on the controller (5 ppm) OR is the chlorine output controlled by the combination of the percentage setting and pump run time?

Do you still use the acid pump even though you disabled the ph/orp sensor?
    Light grey plaster, stone coping, 38K gallon Roman shaped pool with a shallow end beach, table and bar stools, deep end bench and waterfall (Intelliflo 4X160). Taylor K-2006, Pentair 320 chlorinator, Intelliflow VF, Quad DE 100. 4 ColorLogics, 3 skimmers, 14 wall returns, 13 floor returns, TurboTwister slide, autofill and miles of pvc.

9. Back To Top    #9

For the the normal Autopilot one sets the percentage and that represents the percentage of each hour it generates chlorine per hour. Then if you only run your pump for 12 hours per day your output is halved. Ian
    27,000 gal liner pool. Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter, Dolphin Dynamic robot cleaner, Dolphin Supreme M4 pool cleaner, Aquatemp FT40Kst 3 phase Heatpump, Pentair IntelliFlo VF 3.2KW pump, Aquamatic Hydromatic safety pool cover, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SC-60 salt water generator. 2 Inch piping throughout.

10. Back To Top    #10

i have installed the autopilot, it is a great system. i would also suggest the hayward aquarite pro.
    pool size 15X30 Filters:Cartridge Aboveground Plaster,Pentair Minimax NT Low NOx Series Heater