Hello from a Newbie!! Liner rip caused by heat gun...eeek!!

janb

Aug 9, 2011
So thankful that I found this site. :-D

We had a pool company come in at the beginning of last year to install a new bead line along the top of our liner. The liner is only 10 years old, but was coming out in spots possibly due to pool shift.

All was fine last year, the bead liner stuck and we enjoyed the pool all summer.

This year on Memorial Day, we opened the pool, and there was a 6 inch tear in the liner above the water line. There had also been a patch placed over the tear. We believe that the pool company, while stretching the liner to reinstall it, heated it with a heat gun and overstretched the liner. We think that that then patched it, so as to AVOID a tear, but with the cold of the winter, and heat from the pool tarp, it gave way.

Has this happened to anyone else? Is there any way to prove that the heat gun damaged the liner?? Any help would be appreciated!! :wave: :wave:

Re: Hello from a Newbie!! Liner rip caused by heat gun...ee

A heat gun would actually have to burn the liner for it to have caused that much damage. If it did you'll be able to see the charring. Are you sure the patch wasn't already there?

At 10 years old it's about time for a new liner anyway.

Well, we think the heat gun compromised the liner, they patched it to cover up their mistake, and over the winter months, the patch gave way and tore.

Would I have still seen charring if that was the case?

I think the problem was in trying to do anything with a liner that old. It didn't have any stretch due to its age, and when they reattached it, it couldn't handle it. 10 years is a good life for a liner.

janb said:
I was hoping 10 years was young for a liner... :( :(

They can last longer, but you don't want to be stretching them after they get more than a few years old.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.