Wire Size Needed For Pump/Motor ?

Jul 30, 2011
MS
We have a new pool installed and just needed to know what size/type wire was needed for my setup...
115V Motor
60Hz
9.5 Amps
Between 75-80 feet from inside house breaker box and pool...

I have seen a few install the 1/2 8ft long ground rods and bond the pool /motor and back to the GFCI Receptacle...Is this needed or just bond the motor to pool wall..? Thanks

You need #12 awg THHN for that run.

What type pool are you installing?

You need to ground the motor using the ground conductor from the supply, and also bond the motor (and anything else metal) to the bonding loop of the pool. The bonding loop doesn't need to be grounded.

Its the 24ft Aqua EZ pool we had the wall and liner problems with ' we talked about on another topic...I see where some used one of the bolts where the wall bolts together ' to bond the motor to the wall...So ur saying just use the ground from the house to the GFCI Receptacle' then to motor with the same house 12/2 ground wire' and like an #8 solid copper from the motor to the wall...No copper inground rod needed? Thanks

Is the 12/2 UF-B underground wire in some type of conduit what i need ?

I picked up 100Ft of the 12/2 UF-B underground wire...I think about 85ft is what i will need..Got the waterproof kit with bubble & GFCI Receptacle...25ft roll of #6 solid copper wire for bonding motor to pool wall...Lowes had the roll on sale...Just wanted to make sure what all needs to be bonded one more time...Just bond the motor to pool wall with the #6 i have...? Do i need to ground from receptacle down to motor ? Motor came with 3 prong plug that i can just plug in....Just got a little confused on what all needs to be grounded...thanks

Your UF12/2 should have black, white and ground - all 3 should be connected back at the panel where you are getting power from. And no larger than a 20 Amp breaker. Your pump should also have a ground when you plug it into the GFCI.

I don't know about your area - but when I talked to my county inspection department about replacing UF12-3 to a shed with UF8-3 - if I put it in conduit, I "only" have to trench 18 inches below ground - straight burial of the UF means 24 inches down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.