Sun or Shade at Night?

Jun 20, 2011
I live in NJ, my yard gets sun thru the day but trees create shade over the pool just at the time we get home from work, so any night swimming is in shade. The outside air gets a bit chilly when the sun is blocked - even on 90 degree days, it drops to the 70's in the shade. I can do some work to trim some branches and get a little more sun at night. My question is, should I??? Is it better to have the setting sun on the pool or is having shade an advantage??? Once I trim the trees, it can't be undone so I want to be sure it's the right move. I welcome any sun/shade feedback.

I think it's a personal preference, and your own history and climate are going to be the best criteria to answer the question. What do you want? Chilly swimming or some end of day sun to bask in? I love trees, don't get me wrong but if they shade it too much, a trim won't be the worst thing.

My pool is completely shaded by about 5 pm and it's a little frustrating. The sun is out and the kids want to swim but they don't stay in very long cuz it's chilly. However it's barely hit 82 this week and that's about the best we have even seen this summer, we're jonesing big time for some heat. Chilly is a bit of an understatement unfortunately. If I didn't like my house... I'd cut it out of the picture to get some more end of day sun.

Of course if it was blazing hot, I appreciate the shade the house provides. We can get 100 degree days... usually 2 or 3 a summer. Too hot is lame, unless of course you have a pool! lol

I had the same problem with my set up. By 3:30 my pool started to shade and by 4:15 it was all shade. Last winter i had 7 trees taken out on the west side and gained 2 more hours of summer sun and i know i will have a lot less raking to do come fall.
I am also in New Jersey and i know what you are saying about it being cooler in the shade when it starts to get a little cooler.

frogabog said:
I think it's a personal preference, and your own history and climate are going to be the best criteria to answer the question. What do you want? Chilly swimming or some end of day sun to bask in? I love trees, don't get me wrong but if they shade it too much, a trim won't be the worst thing.

My pool is completely shaded by about 5 pm and it's a little frustrating. The sun is out and the kids want to swim but they don't stay in very long cuz it's chilly. However it's barely hit 82 this week and that's about the best we have even seen this summer, we're jonesing big time for some heat. Chilly is a bit of an understatement unfortunately. If I didn't like my house... I'd cut it out of the picture to get some more end of day sun.

Of course if it was blazing hot, I appreciate the shade the house provides. We can get 100 degree days... usually 2 or 3 a summer. Too hot is lame, unless of course you have a pool! lol

Come to Texas. We are having days and days of 100+ temps.

We are begging for shade. I like the heat but from sun up to sun down we are in it. It is hard to swim in the evenings when the sun is glaring into our eyes and reflecting off the water. Volleyball games are out in the evening.

I guess it all depends on the direction your pool faces. I much rather have shade and a heated pool and cooler air than blazing sun. Not to mention, you still can get burned even though it is evening...ok well I can, but no one else in the family!

I'm also in NJ we get full sun from 9:30 a.m until sunset on our pool. Swimming in the early evening is our favorite time to swim. It's still warm and the pool is too, as it gets cooler the pool is still warm. A couple days this year when we had that stretch of 100 degree days the pool hit 90 degrees but it most of the time it is in the mid to low 80's.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.