Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will an SWG save me money?

1. Back To Top    #1

Will an SWG save me money?

I have a 30,000 pool. I am using the BBB method which is working great. Only problem is I am adding about $2.30 worth of Clorox nightly (and that's from Costco!) I figure that at around $70 per month, if a SWG will last 3 years on a cell then I'm thinking I will save money over my current expenses. We just bought this house in April so I don't yet have a full year of pool expenses to base this off of; just the last three weeks of BBB.

Am I thinking right?
    30K IG, Plaster with spillover spa, 9 ft deep end with spring base diving board
    48sqft DE Filter, 3HP VS motor, Hayward SPII, Raypak RP2100 Propane heater
    AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital with SC-60 and pump relay (220v)
    Polaris 280. Pentiar Booster Pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Speed Stir
    Austin, Texas (It's hot)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Will an SWG save me money?

An SWG saves some people money, costs others extra. Overall, an SWG is unlikely to save you a large amount of money, but saving something is quite likely on a large pool if you buy one of the less expensive units.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I think I would feel more comfortable with more SWG than less. If you were me, what would you spend your money on? Will it be less than $1000? I'm a DIY.
    30K IG, Plaster with spillover spa, 9 ft deep end with spring base diving board
    48sqft DE Filter, 3HP VS motor, Hayward SPII, Raypak RP2100 Propane heater
    AutoPilot Pool Pilot Digital with SC-60 and pump relay (220v)
    Polaris 280. Pentiar Booster Pump, TF-100 Test Kit, Speed Stir
    Austin, Texas (It's hot)

4. Back To Top    #4

I love my SWG, would never give it up. I got a fancy one, and I'm sure it cost me more than bleach, but I've never regretted it.

You can certainly install a SWG yourself for less than $1000, though you could easily spend more if you wanted to.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I believe I'm saving money, but that is just gut feel. I've never NOT had one, so I can't run the numbers. If you get one, just be sure to get your salt (the plain stuff, no additives) at Home Depot for $5 for 40 lbs instead of the pool store where it is $25-30. Buy the salt for water softners.
    19,000 gallons, Well Water
    Stay-Rite System 3 Cartridge filter
    IG vinyl, MasterTemp 400 Propane heater
    Intellichlor 40 SWG, 2006 Taylor Test Kit with Speed Stirrer
    1.5 HP Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I once heard the Pool show guy on the radio say that the cost of the cell is about the same as the cost of the chlorine after the 3 years cell life. I also know that the control system can go out, so there may be more to replace after that cell goes out.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

7. Back To Top    #7

Compupool CPSC 48 about $750 delivered. I'm happy with my unit.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

Don't forget to factor in your time. What is it worth to you to have a system that requires less chlorine maintenance? I like it because when I go on vacation, or if I'm really busy at work, it takes care of itself. Then again, as an uneducated pool buyer I ended up with a puck feeder so I could always use that when I go on vacation.
    27k Gal, IG Plaster Ansylbrite, Pentair FNSP60 DE Filter, Jandy Aquapure APURE1400 SWG, WhisperFlo WFE-28 pool pump, WhisperFlo WFE-26 Waterfall pump, Raypak P-R406A-EN-C Heater, Polaris 1-470-02 Air Blower, Jandy PDA 4.1a firmware

9. Back To Top    #9

I think its worth it just not to have to add chlorine! Was having to constantly check and add, then having to run to the store to buy it, then take time to add it.
    My levels were always low too, like 0-2.

Now with just running the SWG for 48 hours, I have it up to 5.
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area

10. Back To Top    #10

I tell you, just recycling all the 1 gallon jugs would convince me to get an SWG. I love my SWG. I don't do anything with chlorine at all throughout the year. Only have to add a little muriatic acid about every other day. A few jugs recycled is no issue. As Marauder indicates, add the fuel costs to go to Costco each time to get more clorox and you're probably going to make out with the SWG.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Not to mention just your personal time saved from buying chroline to adding it to the pool.
    32' x 15', 25k gallon gunite IG pool, California Quartz plaster in Tahoe color
    Pentair equip (Intelliflow VS+AU pump, DE filter, IC40 SWG)
    Spa wall removed to make "seating" area