transitioning from PS to TFP, how am I doing?

tltmom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Urbana, IL
got Taylor K-2005 today. results:
FC 6.0 (diluted sample 1:1 with distilled H2O)
TC 6.0
CC 0
CYA 45
pH 7.4
TA 120
CH 260
pool looks really sparkly, clean
questions:
1. I'm a little confused on the pool calculator. what is my goal for FC with CYA 45? For right now I have my SWG off over night to let FC fall and to do OCLT to make sure I'm finished with the shock I started last week.
2. When should I raise CYA to 70? I get on PC that I need 6 lbs granular CYA.
3. If I keep adding acid as needed when pH climbs (which it likes to with my SWG and fresh plaster) will I eventually get TA down, or do I need to use the "lowering TA method" from pool school. I don't mind adding a little acid daily to keep pH under control.
4. I would like to run my pump less. I did not realize till I read TFP but I have been running it 24-7 since I opened the pool 2 1/2 months ago! It is a 1 hp pentair 1 speed whisperflo and I have a 30,000 gal pool. I was going to try running it from 8am to 12pm daily. Is this a good place to start?
thank you! I'm really appreciating you TFP folks!

1) Look at the suggested FC levels section once you have entered yout current CYA level.With CYA at 45 and a SWG, FC should be between 2 and 4, or perhaps 5.

2) Soon.

3) Yes. Lower PH to 7.2 each time it gets to 7.8 until TA comes down to something more reasonable.

4) I'd try something closer to 12 hours a day to start with, and then adjust from there depending on what happens.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.