Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool is becoming a money pit.

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool is becoming a money pit.

Jezz just 5 months ago I spent just over 2 grand getting leaks fixed. I leave for vacation a few weeks ago and get back to find out I have another leak. I have been having to add water everyday just to keep the water level at the skimmer and now my deck is raising up from the pool on one side. Is their any write up's online about doing your own return pipe leak detection? I am just not in a financial position to spend another 2 grand on this thing and figure if I don't take care of it my pool is going to just get worse and worse.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool is becoming a money pit.

and now my deck is raising up from the pool on one side.
    Can you post some pics of that area so we can see what's happening?

I can't think of a link that would help because each pool is so specific but I'll bet you can get good advice here if we get a vuisual idea of what's happening with your pool.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    and now my deck is raising up from the pool on one side.
    Can you post some pics of that area so we can see what's happening?

I can't think of a link that would help because each pool is so specific but I'll bet you can get good advice here if we get a vuisual idea of what's happening with your pool.
    Ill get some pics of it tomorrow. Basically were the deck meets the pool its lifting.

4. Back To Top    #4

5. Back To Top    #5

looks like your tile needs to be regrouted

6. Back To Top    #6

You obviously have some movement going on. I think if it is re-grouted it will crack. You should clean the entire space by removing the existing materials from the joint. Fill the bottom of the void with backer rod and caulk the joint with a high quality polyurethane sealant. Backer rod and sealant can be found at Lowes or Home Depot.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by slambrecht
    You obviously have some movement going on. I think if it is re-grouted it will crack. You should clean the entire space by removing the existing materials from the joint. Fill the bottom of the void with backer rod and caulk the joint with a high quality polyurethane sealant. Backer rod and sealant can be found at Lowes or Home Depot.
    Thanks for the reply. I am not familiar with backer rod? What exactly is it?

Does any one have any advice on finding leaks on the return pipes? I am pretty sure I have a leak in one and need to find it. I just can not afford to pay a company to come out again and fix it. I am losing about 4 inchs or more of water a day.

Also is their a good website for tile replacement stuff online. That is another project I really need to start on with this pool also.

8. Back To Top    #8

Backer rod can be an extruded foam rod.

I've seen some videos where they use a dye to find the leaks check you tube.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

9. Back To Top    #9

What kind of warranty/guarantee did you get for the leak repairs that were originally done? Is there no way that one of the leaks previously fixed has started leaking again?
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40