Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Plaster & it's starting to rain. Should I be concerned?

1. Back To Top    #1

New Plaster & it's starting to rain. Should I be concerned?

I guess the title says it all. The plaster guys finished about an hour ago and started filling the pool with two of our garden hoses.
    They mentioned that rain may leave yellow streaks in the new plaster. Is this inevitable? Is it a stain that can be dealt with?

Any way to prevent this from happening?

It's supposed to rain on and off for the next few days......uhg.
    Anthony Pool, 35k gal plaster, DE (1.5hp Ultraflow), Rainbow 320, Dolphin Diagnostic 2001 (Advantage) & Polaris, Retrofitted Anthony mod #20 120v Niche light with Pentair 5G & adapter ring, 70's build / recoped and plastered 1.5 years ago

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Plater & it's starting to rain. Should I be concerne

Hmm...never heard of that. Did he say how/why yellow streaks would form?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New Plaster & it's starting to rain. Should I be concern

No, he didn't. (He actually told my wife.)

I called the GC who brought him onto the project and he said not to worry.

I'm guessing acid rain might discolor the brand new plaster in some instances.....????

Fingers crossed that a beautiful job stays that way.
    Anthony Pool, 35k gal plaster, DE (1.5hp Ultraflow), Rainbow 320, Dolphin Diagnostic 2001 (Advantage) & Polaris, Retrofitted Anthony mod #20 120v Niche light with Pentair 5G & adapter ring, 70's build / recoped and plastered 1.5 years ago

4. Back To Top    #4

How irritating!
    "Hey that rain is going to screw up your plaster we just installed"

Who would say that without offering a solution...
    40x20 Free Form IG Pool (aprox 29,000 Gal, 140 Perimeter, depth 3'6"-7', Baja Shelf, 8x8 Free Form Spa) - Gunite Shell, Pebble Plaster Finish, Poured Concrete Coping - 3 Deep Heat Returns - Jandy LXi400 Gas Heater (400,000 Btu) - Jandy Variable Speed Pump JEP 2.0 - Jandy CL 600 Filter - HASA Liquidator - Jandy PDA 6 w/ Remote - 4x Jandy WaterColors Pool LEDs - 48" Gas Fire Pit - 6x Gas Tiki Torches - 12'x15' U-shaped BBQ Island (Firemagic Equipment)
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/new-p...ca-t28413.html

5. Back To Top    #5

I hear you. To be honest he didn't speak great English but did a beautiful plaster job. (I'll have to post before and after pics)
    We did get a spot of rain early in the evening but as of this morning there were no ill effects.
    Feeling better this morn. Now two weeks of brushing the walls.

6. Back To Top    #6

You only need a couple of hours for the plaster to setup before it is safe from rain. Hard rain right as they finish can ruin the plaster, but even after just an hour you are usually alright, and after three or four hours you should be totally fine.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Jason: That appears to be true as we've had a couple showers as the pool was filling an it's fine. Thanks for the feedback.